JOB TITLE: Communications Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Communications & External Relations
LOCATION: Alexandria, VA
The Communications Specialist works with a focus on ensuring that IRUSA internal stakeholders, including staff and board members, are kept informed and inspired about developments in and the impact of the work of Islamic Relief USA, the Islamic Relief global family, the humanitarian sphere, and more by brainstorming, producing, implementing, and auditing internal communications strategies and channels, as well as editing, writing, and proofing related content. To achieve that, the Communications Specialist leverages and works to enhance products and deliverables including the
intranet, publications, talking points, reports, staff email bulletins, case uses, and more; and helps establish and enforce IRUSA’s corporate writing style. This specialist also works closely with the External Relations and Communications
teams, as well as other IRUSA spokespeople, to produce effective and efficient external and internal communications, and contributes toward content, speech, and presentation work within those realms. The Communications Specialist
supports select Programs, Marketing, and Fund Development functions by providing resources, content, editorial review, and fact-checks to enhance donor communication, and also contributes toward donor-facing publications,
reports, case studies and blogs. The Communications Specialist reports to the Communications & Media Relations Manager and works to ensure that IRUSA content assets at-large adhere to IRUSA’s writing style, brand, voice,
campaigns, and policy, and follow industry best practices. This candidate must demonstrate a commitment to IRUSA’s values, ethics, brand, vision, and mission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves as editor, writer, and proofreader on the Communications team and for related content.
- Works with relevant team members and executives to develop an IRUSA corporate writing style guide, and subsequently is responsible for its up-keep, use, and enforcement.
- Supports the production of content-driven products for multi-channel use from pre-production to completion to post-mortem analysis; these include (but not limited to) internal resources such as talking points, the intranet, and corporate reports and presentations; web content; blogs; speeches; executive messages and presentations; press releases; donor reports and seasonal publications, including Partnership and Annual Report.
- Works with individuals and teams across the organization to develop strategies and solutions for improvement of internal communications and news- and report-based communications, factoring in data, and working to captivate and inspire internal audiences; this includes working with the Programs team to turn programmatic statistics, field-based reports, and more into user-friendly and easy-to-understand content.
- Works individually and/or collaborates with relevant stakeholders (including IR global family) to ensure synergy and accuracy across efforts, as well as adherence to brand, mission, vision, campaigns, style guides, subject-protection policy, redlines, etc., and enforces as appropriate.
- Contributes to the maintenance of a robust and fresh catalogue of IRUSA content across various categories including news and research.
- Works closely with the Communications and External Relations teams to implement and/or maintain successful and data-driven content campaigns.
- Contributes and supports to the research, proposal, and implementation to appropriate innovative internal communications technologies, techniques, and training to advance work efficiency and impact.
- Actively works and/or assists on content-related tasks and projects across organization, including production, editing, reviewing, etc.as assigned.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Bachelor Degree in Communications, Journalism, Creative Writing, or a related field.
- 2-3 years experience in a related communications role.
- Portfolio of effective news-based writing and speech-writing samples.
- Command of AP Style.
- Expertise in editorial principles and techniques of communicating information.
- Strong public speaking and presentation skills.
- Impeccable writing, editing, and proofreading skills, with an acute attention to detail.
- Ability to translate technical programmatic jargon and statistics into easily-digestible information.
- Effective communication and problem-solving skills and ability to manage day-to-day work challenges.
- Solid track record of solutions-driven teamwork.
- Exhibits sound decision making, prioritizes work appropriately, and requires minimal supervision.
- Outstanding project-, process-, time-management, and organization skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to perform effectively in a highly professional and respectful manner with diverse work styles and personalities under tight deadlines and in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced work setting with diplomacy and composure.
- Ability to take instruction, guidance, and constructive criticism well, work collaboratively and effectively with others, and implement as necessary.
- Fluency in English.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, and twin Google Drive products.
- Familiarity with communication information technology, including digital and video-based communications tools.
- Flexibility in work schedule (i.e. evenings and weekends as necessary), willingness to travel.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- At least two years working in a nonprofit environment.
- Prior editorial experience.
- Experience with WordPress.
- Experience with surveying, feedback collection, and/or focus groups.
- Proficiency in written Arabic, Urdu, Farsi.