JOB TITLE: DRT National Specialist
STATUS: Full time
LOCATION: Alexandria, VA
- Has lead responsibility for maintaining and sharing detailed information about DRT activities and deployments, internally with other IRUSA divisions and externally with State and National Voluntary Organizations Active in disasters (VOAD’s).
- Serves as the IRUSA representative to designated national disaster coordination mechanisms, such as state and National VOADs, and shares regular written reports on DRT activities.
- Monitors disasters and emergencies with regional staff and shares timely and informative written reports with stakeholders, including the current and projected status of the event and partner and VOAD engagement.
- Prepares formal Situation Reports for disasters and emergencies when IRUSA is engaged or when IRUSA action is recommended, including the proposed IRUSA disaster level and recommended engagement.
- Prepares periodic reports on preparedness activities, preparedness assessments, volunteer training and mobilization, and regional activities.
- Trains and mobilizes volunteers and community leaders to engage with IRUSA in disaster preparedness, response and recovery; demonstrates responsiveness to their needs and expectations.
- Maintains excellent communication and coordination with government entities, peer organizations and others engaged in the field of emergency services, operations and community preparedness.
- Coordinates closely with the other members of the IRUSA Disaster Response Team.
- Coordinate closely with Disaster Response Manager with managing National partnerships.
- Develops and proposes strategies for engaging IRUSA constituencies in preparedness activities, in coordination with the IRUSA Community Outreach office and DRT headquarters.
- Provides training to mosques and other community groups on disaster preparedness; supports their development of formal preparedness and response plans.
- Trains and develops volunteers so that they have the capacity to respond to disasters and emergencies.
- Oversees the work and performance of volunteers working with the Disaster Response Team, both within the region and in other locations where deployed.
- Coordinates closely with the IRUSA Volunteer Management office.
- Performs needs assessments to inform decision-making about IRUSA involvement.
- Executes a comprehensive regional response when required.
- In most circumstances, serves as the primary operational leader in the region for disasters and emergencies of all scales.
- Joins response and recovery operations in other regions as leader or team member as requested.
- Provides monitoring and evaluation of DRT programs and initiatives in the region.
- Contribute knowledge, ideas and gained experience to IRUSA colleagues through formal and informal channels.
- Participate in regular IRUSA meetings and events.
- Fulfill IRUSA administrative requirements, including submission of reports, forms, and other records.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 3-5 years’ experience working in disaster management, international development or related discipline.
- Knowledge of NIMS (National Incident Management System)
- Experienced in managing diverse volunteer teams in the field.
- Must possess effective interpersonal and oral communications skills.
- Effective written communications skills, including significant exposure to generating reports and narratives and the ability to tailor communication to different audiences
- Must exhibit analytical and strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to self-manage multiple priorities.
- Proven ability to exhibit cultural competence and sensitivity in working with a wide array of ethnicities, and history of maintaining relationships with these same communities.
- Technical proficiency in Microsoft Office and use of databases.
- Ability to travel minimum 30%.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.