Beep Inc. is looking for motivated team players who want to be part of the autonomous mobility revolution. Beep is a market leader in delivering the next generation of mobility services and technology utilizing driverless, electric, multi-passenger shuttles. By specializing in planning, deploying, and managing advanced autonomous shuttles for private and public communities, Beep safely connects people, places, and services in first-mile, and last-mile mobility networks. Through Beep’s data and learnings from its public road deployments, the company produces vehicle-agnostic, edge solutions meant to enhance safety, enable better access, advance artificial intelligence and extend driverless operating capabilities of autonomous platforms. Beep delivers each day on our primary goals of enabling mobility-for-all, positively impacting the environment, and providing the safest rider experience through our unique software and services.
The Vice President of Public Policy is responsible for setting a strategic direction for Beep’s policy, regulatory, and legislative efforts in support of autonomous shuttle programs across the U.S. This role will provide advice and counsel to the CEO and the team on the development and implementation of related goals and strategies. Most specifically this role will lead our efforts with US DOT, NHTSA, and FTA in support of regulatory exemptions, waivers, rule making, and legislative action necessary to support the deployment of purpose-built autonomous shuttles on public roadways. This role will also lead our work on Capitol Hill and with select trade associations to drive awareness and regulatory improvements enabling the US to assume a global leadership position in the advancement of these important technologies. The VP will lead Policy Development, Government Relations, External Affairs, and Stakeholder Engagement activities on behalf of the company, and will develop and maintain collaborative relationships with government officials and other advocacy organizations related to autonomy to ensure the success of Beep’s policy priorities.
The ideal candidate will have prior experience working in, or with, the US Department of Transportation, and a good working knowledge of the regulatory framework for FMVSS. Additionally, Beep is seeking a candidate with a positive track record of navigating Congress and the Administration to provide input and insight through committee activities, personal meetings, or other appropriate forms of engagement in order to align USDOT, Capitol Hill, and the White House on key priorities for a strong US regulatory environment promoting the safe deployment of autonomous vehicles.
This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC. or Orlando, FL.
· Identify emerging public policy issues consistent with Beep’s mission and oversee the development of our policy positions
· Develop policy-related program activities and oversee program requirements, which include working with USDOT staff directly to ensure proper procedures are executed to achieve broad deployments of autonomous shuttle deployments
· Monitor and impact federal and state legislation for autonomous mobility proceedings and committee hearings on ongoing relevant issues and work with appropriate staff to communicate any relevant and needed changes to appropriate audiences
· Identify opportunities for testimony, briefings, and meetings on Capitol Hill and with key committees for both the House and Senate
· Supervise Beep’s external government relations and lobby consultants in support of Beep activities at both the Federal and State levels
· Identify opportunities for potential witnesses and draft necessary testimony, committee reports, comment letters, and relevant documents for Congressional hearings, when appropriate
· Ensure proper engagement and response for Beep on appropriate NPRM requests
· Establish and maintain key relationships with Members of Congress, Congressional committees, appropriate agencies, and their staff to provide for a timely and effective exchange of information
· Support Beep’s suppliers and partners in achieving the necessary requirements for key areas of regulation such as FMVSS, FTA DBE and Buy American obligations.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
· Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills
· High attention to detail and accuracy, especially in verbal and written communication
· Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply the appropriate sections of applicable laws, guidelines, regulations, ordinances, and policies
· Self-starter, excellent problem solver, flexible, resourceful, process-driven, and have a high degree of integrity and ethics
· Comfort dealing with ambiguity and the ability to work independently
· Excellent communication and presentation skills; comfortable interacting with Government officials
· Interest in emerging technology and mobility solutions
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, Business, or related field required
Experience working in, or with, the US DOT
Solid working knowledge of the regulatory framework for FMVSS
Minimum of 8 years experience, preferably in transit/transportation-related field
Prolonged periods of sitting, predominately in an office environment.
Travel up to 50%
All Beep Team Members are eligible to participate in our 401(k) program and bonus plans. We also offer developmental programs, such as paid training and certifications (based on role).
Beep provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.