Please note that this position is based in Los Angeles or the West Coast of the U.S.
Role and Responsibilities
The National Reporter will report, write and produce multimedia enterprise and breaking news stories about religion, spirituality and ethics–focusing particularly on the religious practices and experiences of Hispanic Americans and other diverse religious groups. The national reporter will also report on the intersection of popular culture and religion—and contribute to breaking and national news projects as needed.
Preference will be given to candidates in Los Angeles/Southern California.
All produced content acts as a resource for the public and media at large, promoting religious literacy for the Religion News audience.
Key responsibilities include:
- The national beat reporter reports directly to the U.S.-based Editor-in-Chief of RNS.
- Identify and report compelling stories for a general interest audience.
- Pitch stories, undertake new assignments and investigate news leads and tips.
- Work closely with RNS staff members on breaking and enterprise coverage.
- Turn data and daily news developments into enterprise coverage that provides a deeper look into the practice of religion in America and changes in the religious landscape.
- Follow pop culture trends that intersect with religious life.
- Develop a deep and rich understanding of the religious institutions, communities, and day to day lives of Hispanic Americans.
- Publish or broadcast news stories in both digital and video formats when required.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
A Bachelor's Degree in Journalism or equivalent is required.
Five or more years of applicable journalistic experience is required.
- Fluent in Spanish
- Conducting interviews
- Experience interacting with local churches and various religious hierarchies
- Generating and researching story ideas
- Article writing
- Social media proficiency
- Analytical thinking and problem-solving
- Technical trouble-shooting
- Multi-tasking and meeting tight deadlines
- Time management
Competitive salary and benefits.
Religion News Service, LLC, is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants based on race, religion, color, disability, medical condition, legally protected genetic information, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, veteran status or other legally protected characteristics. Any applicant with a mental or physical disability who requires an accommodation during the application process should contact Religion News Service, LLC, to request such an accommodation.