Please note that this position is based in Rome, Italy.
Role and Responsibilities
The Vatican beat reporter is based in Rome and covers the Vatican on behalf of the Religion News Service (RNS). The reporter is responsible for reporting on all newsworthy events involving the Pope and the Roman Curia and their interactions with local churches and hierarchies around the world. The position manages a range of tasks and projects in a fast-paced work environment, including identifying information to post on RNS social media, monitoring news sources and identifying activities that deepen the relationship between RNS and its audience.
The Vatican beat reporter is responsible for the planning and timely submission of all assignments, including those from remote locations using limited mobile technology. All produced content acts as a resource for the public and media at large, promoting religious literacy for the Religion News audience.
Key responsibilities include:
- The Vatican beat reporter reports directly to the U.S.-based Editor-in-Chief of RNS.
- Identify and report compelling stories for a general interest audience and readers interested in the workings and decisions of the Holy See. Generate story ideas and daily enterprise.
- Pitch stories, undertake new assignments and investigate news leads and tips.
- Monitor news outlets and Catholic news sources, attending relevant events on the Vatican beat and participating in other activities that build relationships and deepen an understanding of the issues.
- Plan and submit all assignments on time. Plan projects/assignments to meet deadlines.
- Publish or broadcast news stories in both digital and video formats when required.
- Having little day-to-day supervision, the position retains authority over many daily tasks (i.e., length of articles, video publishing, event attendance, travel, story investigation, source determinations) and schedules.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
A Bachelor's Degree in Journalism or equivalent is required.
Five or more years of applicable journalistic experience is required.
- Fluent in Italian (both writing and speaking Italian)
- Conducting interviews
- Experience interacting with local churches and various religious hierarchies
- Generating and researching story ideas
- Article writing
- Social media proficiency
- Generating video packages
- Photo and video editing
- Analytical thinking and problem-solving
- Technical trouble-shooting
- Multi-tasking and meeting tight deadlines
- Time management
Competitive salary and benefits.
Religion News Service, LLC, is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants based on race, religion, color, disability, medical condition, legally protected genetic information, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, veteran status or other legally protected characteristics. Any applicant with a mental or physical disability who requires an accommodation during the application process should contact Religion News Service, LLC, to request such an accommodation.