SHIFT: Monday – Friday from 8 AM to 4:30 PM
The Insurance Verification Specialist is responsible for verifying insurance information and current patient referrals before their scheduled appointment. This position also is required to assist in covering the duties of the Medical Office Receptionist when coverage is needed. Under the supervision of the Billing Insurance Lead, the Employee will adhere to and comply with the RA Code of Conduct, RA Employee Handbook, and HIPAA Compliance.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities listed below are representative, but not all-inclusive, of the duties required to perform this job.
- Verify and pre-certify patient insurance information prior to their scheduled appointment.
- Verify current referrals.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Problem solving: Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
Versatile: Ability to multi-task and complete requested tasks required by manager.
Teamwork: Exhibit objectivity and openness to others’ views. Contributes to building a positive work environment.
Detail-oriented: Meet productivity standards while demonstrating accuracy and thoroughness.
Reliable Transportation and Valid Drivers License: Some travel to nearby satellite clinic offices may be necessary for coverage purposes.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced setting while managing competing demands.
- Superior communication skills both verbal and written. Ability to speak clearly and respond well to patient’s questions.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Ability to listen to get clarification from patients and insurance representatives.
- Experience with eCW, Availity, and UHC/Optum preferred.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Two to three years’ experience working in a medical office setting, dealing with insurance verification and some knowledge of referrals.
- Prior knowledge of Microsoft Office, primarily Word and Excel.
When covering for the Check-In/Out Receptionist, you will be the first point of contact for the clinic. You will welcome guests and greet patients who visit the clinic.
- Greet patients upon arrival, sign them in and obtain insurance information and any other necessary data.
- Provide patients with intake and new patient forms as well as copies of our office policies and legally required documents.
- Forward New Patient Paperwork to medical records in a timely manner.
- Prep patient superbills 24-48 hours prior to patient’s appointment by reviewing patient’s account to confirm insurance has been verified, referral is up to date (if referral required), notate any balances due on the superbill for collection.
- Generate a statement for patients with an account balance and attached it to the superbill to be given to the patient when they sign in.
- Process payments from patients for co-pays, co-insurances, pass due balances and uninsured visits.
- Post patient payments in eCW accurately and timely.
- Direct patient inquiries regarding their balance to our billing team.
- Provide patients with support and guidance as needed.
- Validate superbills, following the 48-hour rule. (i.e. today’s visits should not be validated for 48-hours to allow time for provider to make any corrections to his/her notes).
- Balance end of day receipts.
- Send end of day receipts and cash to accounting daily.
- Responsible for keeping the reception and patient waiting area clean and organized.
- Appropriately and courteously screen solicitors for relevance to organization needs.
- Facilitates patient flow and communicates delays with patients and clinical staff.
- Schedule patient follow up appointments.
- Perform other related duties as directed or assigned.
We offer excellent comprehensive benefits package, including paid vacation and holidays; medical, dental, vision,
disability & life insurance, and 401k with a company match once employee is vested.