WHO WE ARE
Founded in 2018 in the heart of downtown St. Louis, Ponce Health Sciences University is answering a need for more healthcare professionals by preparing more students for jobs with a world-class, culturally-competent education. Whether you’re an aspiring doctor or psychologist, PHSU St. Louis is focused on helping our students reach their professional goals.
Ponce Health Sciences University’s history dates back to its founding in 1977 in Ponce, Puerto Rico. We’ve been expanding our prestigious health sciences offerings since, with a focus on graduate medical programs. With campuses now in Ponce, San Juan, and St. Louis, we’re expanding our global network while staying committed to preparing students for real-world healthcare careers and clinical situations.
The mission of Ponce Health Sciences University (PHSU) is to provide a world-class, culturally-competent, health sciences education to the population we serve, through innovative adaptive learning environments focused on the success of its students to become ethical practitioners and scientists.
The PHSU vision is to build on its reputation as a prestigious academic and research leader educating underrepresented diverse populations while focusing research efforts on solving global health disparities.
PHSU SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
PHSU St. Louis has begun its development of a new School of Medicine (opening Fall 2022) as part of an multi-million educational investment in north St. Louis that includes a new hospital. The new campus could support up to 1,200 students and create 120 new staff and faculty jobs in St. Louis.
With the expansion of our medical program in St. Louis, we will put action behind our vision of providing real education and research opportunities in a community dedicated to addressing and impacting health disparities on local and national levels. PHSU is thrilled to continue our mission to give more students from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds access to high-quality medical education and careers.
PHSU St. Louis currently offers PsyD and MSMS programs.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Counselor provides direct mental health, personal and career counseling to PHSU students. This position also contributes to the overall success of the department by performing all essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Collaborate and take guidance from the Director of Counseling in Puerto Rico to align services and implement counseling programs.
- Knowledge of theories and foundations of counseling, ethical and legal issues in counseling/therapy.
- Knowledge of community based social service, mental health and support agencies or facilities and their functions.
- Coordinate services with our Counseling Center at the main campus in Ponce, Puerto Rico to partner and provide individual and group counseling to students in the following areas:
- Family and couples counseling and psychotherapy
- Career counseling
- Performance enhancement
- Psychological disability services
- Alcohol and drug programs
- Crisis intervention during psychological emergencies and post-disaster
- Trainings, workshops, and seminars (e.g., paraprofessional counseling, stress management, substance abuse prevention).
- Address all student issues in a professional and timely manner, and in accordance with institutional policies and procedures.
- Serve on committees as assigned or appointed by the Dean of Enrollment Management and Student Success.
- Travel required to Ponce, Puerto Rico for initial and continuous training as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
- Critical Thinking & Judgement - able to make well-reasoned, sensible, and timely decisions based on careful, objective review and informed analysis of available information, considerations, and other factors.
- Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
- Leadership – has demonstrated success as an entrepreneurial, high energy, driven, hands-on leader. Possess expertise in selecting, training, developing, coaching, mentoring, and retaining a highly motivated workforce.
- Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team-player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
- Problem Solving – proven skills in identifying issues, determining their cause, developing creative solutions, and following through with implementing resolutions.
- Multi-Cultural- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Adaptability to Change – able to be flexible and supportive.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. Listed below are the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position, as well as the Physical Demands and Work Environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Master’s Degree in mental health counseling, psychological sciences, or related fields.
Experience. At least two (2) years of experience working in a college counseling center or higher. Knowledge of local and state community resources. Crisis intervention experience. Knowledge of healthcare and graduate/medical school related programs.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Active license in the state of Missouri as a clinical social worker, mental health counselor, marriage and family therapist or psychologist.