WHO WE ARE
Founded in 2018 in the heart of downtown St. Louis, Ponce Health Sciences University is answering a need for more healthcare professionals by preparing more students for jobs with a world-class, culturally-competent education. Whether you’re an aspiring doctor or psychologist, PHSU St. Louis is focused on helping our students reach their professional goals.
Ponce Health Sciences University’s history dates back to its founding in 1977 in Ponce, Puerto Rico. We’ve been expanding our prestigious health sciences offerings since, with a focus on graduate medical programs. With campuses now in Ponce, San Juan, and St. Louis, we’re expanding our global network while staying committed to preparing students for real-world healthcare careers and clinical situations.
The mission of Ponce Health Sciences University (PHSU) is to provide a world-class, culturally-competent, health sciences education to the population we serve, through innovative adaptive learning environments focused on the success of its students to become ethical practitioners and scientists.
The PHSU vision is to build on its reputation as a prestigious academic and research leader educating underrepresented diverse populations while focusing research efforts on solving global health disparities
PHSU SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
PHSU St. Louis has begun its development of a new School of Medicine (opening Fall 2022) as part of an multi-million educational investment in north St. Louis that includes a new hospital. The new campus could support up to 1,200 students and create 120 new staff and faculty jobs in St. Louis.
With the expansion of our medical program in St. Louis, we will put action behind our vision of providing real education and research opportunities in a community dedicated to addressing and impacting health disparities on local and national levels. PHSU is thrilled to continue our mission to give more students from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds access to high-quality medical education and careers.
PHSU St. Louis currently offers PsyD and MSMS programs.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Financial Aid Specialist provides front and back-office support in the student funding process. This position works collaboratively with Financial Aid Officers (FAO’s) and staff on a remote basis with multiple teams to complete financial aid processing to meet service and quality expectations for students. This is a non-supervisory role. To perform the job successfully, an individual must be dependable and have good inter-personal and communication/ organization skills and the ability to interact effectively with prospective students, faculty, and staff. This can potentially be a REMOTE position with travel expected to Puerto Rico and St. Louis during key enrollment periods based on business needs.
The purpose of the Financial Aid Specialist is to serve as a primary contact for the St. Louis campus, and working alongside a team within the Financial Aid Department in providing assistance to students and parents regarding all types of Federal Financial Aid, State Aid, and Scholarships. In addition, the Specialist will assist with processing of financial aid functions. This position will also work within all areas of Title IV programs, including but not limited to Direct Loan, Pell Grant and Work study. This position may, on occasion, travel to Puerto Rico for Department meetings, events, and training.
KEY JOB RESPONSABILITIES
- Advise students on various forms in the financial aid process including Federal financial aid., including but not limited to Direct Loans, Pell Grants, Work-study, PLUS loans and scholarship.
- Counsel students to determine financial aid needs/options and explain students’ rights and responsibilities for each aid source
- Conduct outreach activities to assist students with completion and submission of required forms and documentation
- Ensure compliance with federal, state and accrediting agency regulations pertaining to student enrollment, Federal Student Aid, Veterans Administration and Department of Defense benefit eligibility
- Coordinate with FAO's to resolve conflicting information that may occur
- Coordinate with members of the Finance offiv to ensure proper and timely disbursements of funds to students.
- Demonstrated ability to meet and/or exceed determined goals and objectives.
- Excellent written, verbal communication and customer service skills.
- Time management and the ability to meet deadlines and multi-task are required.
- Able to work after hours and weekends when necessary.
- Ability to work in a team and be supervised by a leader that is not local to the St. Louis area.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Listed below are the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position, as well as the Physical Demands and Work Environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelors degree preferred.
Three (3) years of related experience in a high-traffic higher education/university office environment. Additional experience in lieu of degree considered. Bilingual (Spanish and English is a highly preferred skill).
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have general knowledge of computers including COD, NSLDS, Microsoft Office Applications such as Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel. Experience with virtual meeting platforms such as Zoom, and MSFT Teams. Knowledge in Jenzabar and PowerFAIDS preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Certifications in administrative proficiencies appreciated.