Turnstone Biologics is a clinical stage biotechnology company developing new medicines to treat and cure solid tumors by pioneering a differentiated approach with a clinically validated technology, tumor infiltrating lymphocyte (TIL) therapy. Turnstone’s innovative TIL therapy, which is designed to extend the efficacy of TILs to multiple solid tumor indications by selecting and manufacturing the most potent tumor-reactive T-cells (Selected TILs) for tumor eradication, represents the Company’s foundational therapeutic modality driving its cancer immunotherapy pipeline. The Company recently commenced two clinical trials in various solid tumor types with its lead Selected TIL therapy candidate, TIDAL-01, one of which is in collaboration with Moffitt Cancer Center. Turnstone is developing additional strategies to further potentiate the clinical benefit of Selected TILs, including use in combination with their novel viral immunotherapy.
At Turnstone, the science drives decision-making and our therapeutics are designed with the patient foremost in mind. We continue to build a world-class, high-performing company that embraces being a learning organization with a sense of urgency. Imagine coming to work every day where over-communication, transparency, teaching, listening, asking, thinking, working hard, and having fun are normal – actually, expected? Imagine having a coach, mentor, peers, and partners where candid feedback, self-improvement, risk taking, failing, learning from that failing, and succeeding thereafter are what we call ‘another day at Turnstone’. If you are a passionate person, and our science excites you – this opportunity may be for you.
What would the role be like?
Turnstone Biologics is seeking a Senior Scientist to join the Translational Medicine team to play a key role in defining the kinetics and mechanisms of action of our TIL therapy. Turnstone’s T cell therapy platform generates an exciting new selected TIL drug product that revolutionizes the generation of tumor-targeted T cells for adoptive cell therapy. We track engraftment of the drug and dive deep into the mechanism of action in the periphery and in the tumor. This is an exciting opportunity to work alongside the clinical team and senior scientists in Discovery Research, Process Development, and T cell manufacturing to perform translational research that will deepen our understanding of mechanisms of action of our novel TIL therapy.
We have an open, transparent and dynamic culture that embraces scientific excellence, integrity, urgency, partnerships with key stakeholders and continuous learning/improvements. If you are passionate about immunology with experience in T cell biology, flow cytometry, cell-based and co-culture assays, and are looking to make an impact on behalf of patients, then this opportunity is just what you are looking for.
What’s in it for you?
In this role, you will work closely with Translational Medicine leadership to develop and execute plans for clinical sample analysis. Explore T cell phenotypes and mechanisms of action that correlate with response using blood and tissue samples from patients treated with our cutting-edge therapies. We want you to develop your ability to think strategically and mentor others while driving fast-paced execution in a highly collaborative and cross-functional environment. With our company size and growth, you will have plenty of opportunities to be an inspirational and collaborative leader.
The Responsibilities include the following:
- Design, develop, and optimize flow cytometry and cell-based in vitro assays to determine pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, safety, and efficacy of our TIL therapy products.
- Work closely with manufacturing to characterize tumor-reactivity of drug product and on-treatment samples.
- Understand on-treatment T cell activity, function, cell states, activation and exhaustion phenotypes.
- Generate data, create figures, and communicate translational results and future plans with key stakeholders.
- Collaborate with clinical, discovery research, process development, and manufacturing teams to determine therapeutic mechanisms of action.
- Ensure high ethical standards and that study reports are accurately generated in a timely manner.
- Supervise and/or mentor team members.
- Contribute meaningfully to a team-centric culture that embraces scientific excellence, integrity, and urgency.
How do you know if you’re the right fit?
- Ph.D. in Immunology/Oncology (research primarily focused in immunology) with multiple years post graduate experience and/or biotech or pharmaceutical industry experience.
- Expert knowledge of cell-based in vitro assays, multi-parameter flow cytometry, and common molecular techniques.
- Robust understanding of innate and adaptive immune cells in anti-tumor responses is required.
- Deep knowledge and experience in T cell function/differentiation/signaling/regulation, metabolism/phenotypic analysis, understanding of inhibitory and costimulatory targets and pathways and/or neoantigen biology and vaccines is highly preferred.
- People management and project leadership experience is preferred.
The anticipated salary range for this role is $120,000 – $145,000.
Turnstone Biologics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected will be invited for an interview.