Turnstone Biologics is a clinical stage biotechnology company developing new medicines to treat and cure solid tumors by pioneering a differentiated approach with a clinically validated technology, tumor infiltrating lymphocyte (TIL) therapy. Turnstone’s innovative TIL therapy, which is designed to extend the efficacy of TILs to multiple solid tumor indications by selecting and manufacturing the most potent tumor-reactive T-cells (Selected TILs) for tumor eradication, represents the Company’s foundational therapeutic modality driving its cancer immunotherapy pipeline. The Company recently commenced two clinical trials in various solid tumor types with its lead Selected TIL therapy candidate, TIDAL-01, one of which is in collaboration with Moffitt Cancer Center. Turnstone is developing additional strategies to further potentiate the clinical benefit of Selected TILs, including use in combination with their novel viral immunotherapy.
At Turnstone, the science drives decision-making and our therapeutics are designed with the patient foremost in mind. We continue to build a world-class, high-performing company that embraces being a learning organization with a sense of urgency. Imagine coming to work every day where over-communication, transparency, teaching, listening, asking, thinking, working hard, and having fun are normal – actually, expected? Imagine having a coach, mentor, peers, and partners where candid feedback, self-improvement, risk taking, failing, learning from that failing, and succeeding thereafter are what we call ‘another day at Turnstone’. If you are a passionate person, and our science excites you – this opportunity may be for you.
What would the role be like?
We are looking for a Research Associate to join our Translational Medicine team of immunologists and support the analysis of clinical samples. You will work alongside senior researchers and supporting technical colleagues within project teams at our state-of-the-art facilities in San Diego. Your role would be to perform cell-based translational immunology studies, scrutinize your data, and present your results in a collaborative team setting. This is an exciting opportunity to help us understand the qualities of our TILs and their mechanism of action in samples from our patients treated in clinical trials.
What’s in it for you?
This is a chance to develop your skills and gain experience by working closely with a strong team of immunologists. We are exploring T cell phenotypes that correlate with response using blood and tissue samples from our patients. We want you to learn from our established procedures and develop your experimental abilities to contribute to the understanding of our cutting-edge therapies. If you are passionate about immunology with experience in T cell biology, flow cytometry, cell-based and co-culture assays, and are looking to make an impact on behalf of patients, then this opportunity is just what you are looking for.
The Responsibilities include the following:
- Characterization of TIL drug products for tumor-reactivity and cytotoxic potential by co-culturing TILs with tumor antigen-pulsed antigen presenting cells.
- Use flow cytometry to measure T cell differentiation, cytotoxicity, expansion, cytokine seceretion, and activation and exhaustion phenotypes.
- Isolate and cryopreserve immune cells from patients’ blood samples.
- Explore additional characterization of human blood and tumor samples to support development of novel biomarker assays.
- Generate data, create figures, and communicate results with Translational Medicine leadership.
- Ensure high ethical standards and that study reports are accurately generated in a timely manner.
- Work closely with other team members to learn from and share knowledge.
- Contribute meaningfully to a team-centric culture that embraces scientific excellence, integrity, and urgency.
How do you know if you’re the right fit?
- B.S or M.S in Biology with previous experience in immunology is required.
- Must have extensive experience with mammalian and immune cell culture with excellent sterile technique.
- Experience with multi-parameter flow cytometry, ELISA, nucleic acid extraction, and sequencing, is preferred.
- Experience with molecular biology techniques and cellular transfection is preferred.
- Strong work ethic, positive team-oriented attitude is a must!
The anticipated salary range for this role is $70,000 – $85,000.
Turnstone Biologics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected will be invited for an interview.