Turnstone Biologics (“Turnstone”), a privately held clinical stage biotech company, is developing breakthrough cancer immunotherapies by advancing two leading and complementary platforms that drive innate and adaptive tumor immunity, to provide benefit to the millions of cancer patients underserved by current treatment options. Turnstone’s proprietary vaccinia virus platform is engineered to drive coordinated immune activation, potent viral activity, and local expression of encoded therapeutics. The innovative Tumor Infiltrating Lymphocytes TIL cell therapy platform leverages clinically validated treatment protocols and has been specifically designed to extend beyond the use of bulk TILs to enrich for the most relevant T-cells for tumor eradication, preserving broad antigen diversity and minimizing time to treatment for patients.
At Turnstone, the science drives decision-making and our therapeutics are designed with the patient foremost in mind. We continue to build a world-class, high-performing company that embraces being a learning organization with a sense of urgency. Imagine coming to work every day where over-communication, transparency, teaching, listening, asking, thinking, working hard, and having fun are normal – actually, expected? Imagine having a coach, mentor, peers, and partners where candid feedback, self-improvement, risk taking, failing, learning from that failing, and succeeding thereafter are what we call ‘another day at Turnstone’? If you are a passionate person, and our science excites you – this opportunity may be for you.
What would it be like?
The Associate Director, Patient Operations will be responsible for autologous cell therapy scheduling, supporting clinical collection operations, and systems responsible for tracking patients and maintaining the integrity of patient chain of identity (COI) and chain of custody (COC) throughout their supply chain journey. This role will report to the Director of Manufacturing & Supply Chain within the Technical Operations department.
The responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to:
- Establish a new function that integrates Clinical Operations and Technical Operations with a focus on optimizing the patient/physician experience through day-to-day operational leadership and ownership of each patient’s individual supply chain journey.
- Lead autologous Cell Therapy Scheduling ensuring that all phases of a patient’s journey and autologous supply chain (Collection Operations, Manufacturing, Quality Control, Logistics) are well orchestrated, coordinated, and communicated.
- Support Collection Operations including clinical site start-up/qualification, scheduling, and troubleshooting of ongoing autologous collections and infusions.
- Serve as SME (subject matter expert) as it pertains to collection procedures, materials, and methods partnering with Supply Chain Management to ensure consistent delivery of kits, labeling of patient-starting materials, etc. across the clinical network.
- Lead the design and implementation of programs and processes for clinical trials requirements from collection to infusion incorporating logistics, chain of identity (COI), chain of custody (COC), and real-time scheduling and tracking.
- Support the sourcing of donor-derived materials to enable research, development, and manufacturing workstreams.
- Serve as a key cross-functional leader in the Technical Operations and Clinical Operations interface, including leading cross-functional meetings and leading the development, measuring, and reporting out on key metrics e.g., tumor-to-vein time.
How do you know if you’re the right fit?
- This Associate Director role will be ideally based out of our San Diego office.
- Willingness to travel (during normal times) up to 10-20% to other Turnstones sites and/or clinical sites.
- BS degree in a relevant life sciences, biology, engineering, or public health discipline.
- 5-7 years experience in cell therapy patient operations, clinical supply chain management or early/late phases of clinical development and multiple jurisdictions (Europe, Asia-Pacific, North America).
- 3-5 years experience in a team and/or cross-functional leadership role.
- Strong understanding of and experience with GMP, GTP, and GCP requirements.
- Experience with AABB, FACT, ISBT, other industry standards and accreditations related to cellular therapies and blood-based products.
- Experience with the design, implementation, and use of cell therapy orchestration or COI/COC patient systems such as Vineti, TrackCel, AMTPs, or other related custom applications.
- Experience working with and managing multiple third-party/external partners.
- Strong Microsoft suite and Smartsheet skills preferred.
- Leadership – ability to influence and inspire others towards a common goal.
- Teamwork – willingness to lead and willingness to be lead when it’s appropriate.
- Positive Attitude – ability to adapt to fast-growing teams and a dynamic working environment.
- Communication - must be able to communicate effectively cross functionally with multiple levels in the organization and externally to a diversity of partners.
- Growth mindset – constant approach of challenging oneself to learn more, learn faster, and learn better.
The anticipated salary range for this role is $140,000 - $175,000.
Turnstone Biologics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected will be invited for an interview.