Turnstone Biologics is a clinical stage biotechnology company developing new medicines to treat and cure solid tumors by pioneering a differentiated approach with a clinically validated technology, tumor infiltrating lymphocyte (TIL) therapy. Turnstone’s innovative TIL therapy, which is designed to extend the efficacy of TILs to multiple solid tumor indications by selecting and manufacturing the most potent tumor-reactive T-cells (Selected TILs) for tumor eradication, represents the Company’s foundational therapeutic modality driving its cancer immunotherapy pipeline. The Company recently commenced two clinical trials in various solid tumor types with its lead Selected TIL therapy candidate, TIDAL-01, one of which is in collaboration with Moffitt Cancer Center. Turnstone is developing additional strategies to further potentiate the clinical benefit of Selected TILs, including use in combination with their novel viral immunotherapy.
At Turnstone, the science drives decision-making and our therapeutics are designed with the patient foremost in mind. We continue to build a world-class, high-performing company that embraces being a learning organization with a sense of urgency. Imagine coming to work every day where over-communication, transparency, teaching, listening, asking, thinking, working hard, and having fun are normal – actually, expected? Imagine having a coach, mentor, peers, and partners where candid feedback, self-improvement, risk taking, failing, learning from that failing, and succeeding thereafter are what we call ‘another day at Turnstone’? If you are a passionate person, and our science excites you – this opportunity may be for you.
Turnstone Biologics is seeking a Senior Scientist to play a key role in the development of Turnstone Biologics’ growing pipeline of T cell products. This is an exciting opportunity to work alongside senior researchers, project teams and in a cross-functional setting to perform discovery and development research that will ultimately create new medicines for cancer patients.
What would the role be like?
Turnstone’s T Cell therapy technology is based around an exciting new Selected-TIL process that revolutionizes the generation of tumor targeted T cells for adoptive cell therapy. Your role will be to join a team of immunologists who invent and develop these next gen T cell products for preclinical and clinical evaluation. There will be additional opportunities to continually refine the technology and manufacturing processes for this class defining therapy. If you have experience with T cell manipulation, engineering, and culture then this opportunity may be just what you are looking for.
You will work alongside senior researchers, support activities and mentor direct reports as well as contribute in cross-functional project teams at our state of the art facilities in San Diego. We have an open, transparent, and dynamic culture that embraces scientific excellence, integrity, urgency, partnerships with key stakeholders and continuous learning/improvements.
What’s in it for you?
In this role, you will have the opportunity to develop your ability to think strategically and mentor others while driving fast-paced execution in a highly collaborative and cross-functional environment. With our company size and growth, we will give you plenty of opportunities to be an inspirational and collaborative co-functional leader. We are in the early stages of building strategies, structures, and process so this role will be busy and expanding. You would have the opportunity to create something new and grow your career right along with the company.
The Responsibilities include the following:
· Design and oversee execution of in vitro studies to understand T cell activity, function, cell state and phenotype from human and rodent tissues.
· Participate individually or as part of project teams to schedule and manage complex multi-disciplinary experiments including data collection, analysis, and interpretation.
· Compile data/figures and generate comprehensive presentations to communicate results and plans with key stakeholders
· Ensure high ethic standards and that study reports are accurately generated in a timely manner
· Supervise and/or mentor team members
· Contribute to a team-centric culture that embraces scientific excellence, integrity, and urgency
How do you know if you’re the right fit?
· Ph.D. in Immunology/Oncology (research primarily focused in immunology) with post graduate experience and/or biotech or pharmaceutical industry experience
· Deep knowledge and experience in T cell function/differentiation/signaling/regulation, metabolism/phenotypic analysis, understanding of inhibitory and costimulatory targets and pathways and/or neoantigen biology and vaccines is highly preferred.
· Robust understanding of innate and adaptive immune cells in anti-tumor responses is required
· Expert knowledge of immune based in vitro assays, flow cytometry and common molecular techniques.
· Experience with T cell engineering highly preferred
· People management and project leadership experience is preferred
Turnstone Biologics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected will be invited for an interview.