Turnstone Biologics (“Turnstone”), a privately held clinical stage biotech company, is developing breakthrough cancer immunotherapies by advancing two leading and complementary platforms that drive innate and adaptive tumor immunity, to provide benefit to the millions of cancer patients underserved by current treatment options. Turnstone’s proprietary vaccinia virus platform is engineered to drive coordinated immune activation, potent viral activity, and local expression of encoded therapeutics. The innovative TIL cell therapy platform leverages clinically validated treatment protocols and has been specifically designed to extend beyond the use of bulk TILs to enrich for the most relevant T-cells for tumor eradication, preserving broad antigen diversity and minimizing time to treatment for patients. The Company has an ongoing Phase 1/2a trial in solid tumors (RAPTOR) for its leading oncolytic virus candidate, RIVAL-01, and is expecting to file an IND for the lead TIL therapy candidate, TIDAL-01, in 2021.
At Turnstone, the science drives decision making and our therapeutics are designed with the patient foremost in mind. We continue to build a world-class, high-performing company that embraces being a learning organization with a sense of urgency. Imagine coming to work every day where over-communication, transparency, teaching, listening, asking, thinking, working hard, and having fun are normal – actually, expected? Imagine having a coach, mentor, peers, and partners where candid feedback, self-improvement, risk taking, failing, learning from that failing, and succeeding thereafter are what we call ‘another day at Turnstone’? If you are a passionate person, and our science excites you – this opportunity may be for you.
Reporting to the Virus Team Lead, the position of Research Associate-Virologist is responsible for the generation of novel oncolytic vaccine constructs to contribute to Turnstone Biologics growing pre-clinical pipeline. Principal duties include experimental work (construct design, viral rescue, virus production, and characterization), literature searches, presentations and general laboratory duties. The candidate will demonstrate their ability to participate in a highly matrixed and innovative research environment with a track record of translating basic research findings into novel therapeutic strategies that support clinical drug development. The position contributes as part of a multidisciplinary team with the development of strong cross-functional relationships being important for success.
• Execute experiments following direction from Virus Team Lead
• Perform various experimental methods such as:
o Recombinant DNA cloning
o Virus engineering and rescue
o Cell based assays, tissue culture, flow cytometry, immunofluorescence
o Protein analysis by gel electrophoresis and blotting
• Ability to multi-task and conduct multiple experiments concurrently
• Ensure research studies are completed at a high quality in the determined timeframe
• Attention to detail demonstrated through comprehensive records in laboratory notebooks
• Report generation on completed studies
• Assist with regulatory document preparation as required
• Other assigned duties and responsibilities as required.
Experience & Qualifications:
• MSc in virology, molecular biology, or a related field or a BSc with relevant experience
• Experience with molecular biology and viral engineering is an asset.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written are required.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a cross functional team (with internal teams/academics/industry collaborators).
Turnstone Biologics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected will be invited for an interview.