Turnstone Biologics (“Turnstone”), a privately held clinical stage biotech company, is developing breakthrough cancer immunotherapies by advancing two leading and complementary platforms that drive innate and adaptive tumor immunity, to provide benefit to the millions of cancer patients underserved by current treatment options. Turnstone’s proprietary vaccinia virus platform is engineered to drive coordinated immune activation, potent viral activity, and local expression of encoded therapeutics. The innovative TIL cell therapy platform leverages clinically validated treatment protocols and has been specifically designed to extend beyond the use of bulk TILs to enrich for the most relevant T-cells for tumor eradication, preserving broad antigen diversity and minimizing time to treatment for patients. The Company has an ongoing Phase 1/2a trial in solid tumors (RAPTOR) for its leading oncolytic virus candidate, RIVAL-01, and is expecting to file an IND for the lead TIL therapy candidate, TIDAL-01, in 2021.
At Turnstone, the science drives decision-making and our therapeutics are designed with the patient foremost in mind. We continue to build a world-class, high-performing company that embraces being a learning organization with a sense of urgency. Imagine coming to work every day where over-communication, transparency, teaching, listening, asking, thinking, working hard, and having fun are normal – actually, expected? Imagine having a coach, mentor, peers, and partners where candid feedback, self-improvement, risk taking, failing, learning from that failing, and succeeding thereafter are what we call ‘another day at Turnstone’? If you are a passionate person, and our science excites you – this opportunity may be for you.
What would it be like?
Turnstone Biologics is seeking a Director of Immunology, who will work closely with the Senior VP of Discovery Research, to build and lead a team focused on discovery of innovative cancer immunotherapies. The candidate will be a critical member of a cross-functional team made up of immunologists, biochemists, and computational biologists whose goal is to design potent new immunotherapies leveraging Turnstone’s proprietary TIL and oncolytic virus technologies.
The Responsibilities of the role include:
· Team lead for T cell -based therapy optimization and discovery research
· Lead and execute a program of genetic and epigenetic augmentation of primary human T cells
· Oversee planning and execution of all in vitro T cell functional assays, including signal transduction via TCR and target killing
· Develop and mentor a high-performance team of scientific and technical experts to create industry-leading T cell-based therapies in solid tumor indications.
· Support the interface between other Research, Cell Process Development, CMC, Clinical, Regulatory, and Quality functions to align the product strategy with program, portfolio, and corporate goals
· Responsible for maintaining a culture of scientific integrity and excellence in execution, data analysis, visualization, and presentation
How do you know if you’re the right fit
· PhD in Immunology with 8+ years of postdoctoral experience in T cell biology, including at least 3+ years of management experience
· • The primary location for this role is our new San Diego site, but one of our sites in Canada could be considered based on the candidate’s needs
· Willingness to travel (when it’s safe as it pertains to global pandemics) up to 25% to other Turnstone sites
· Significant scientific accomplishment as evidenced by developed products or core contributions to publications
· Strong scientific track-record demonstrating well organized design and execution of immunology studies
· Broad theoretical and practical knowledge in the fields of T Cell Immunology and Cancer Biology
· Detailed knowledge of T cell biology, including structure, function and signal transduction of T cell receptors, metabolism, and tumor microenvironment
· Deep knowledge and extensive hands-on experience in methodologies, reagents and instrumentation used for T cell isolation, functional characterization, T cell phenotyping and cytotoxicity measurement
· Expertise with TCR mapping, cloning, and screening is a plus
· Experience with human and mouse in vitro and in vivo immunology model development and application
· A keen ability to build an organization, and help manage the dynamics of change within a rapidly growing company
· Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to motivate, influence, and find solutions with others
· Highly collaborative team player who fosters open communication and facilitates mutual understanding and cooperation between all team members
· Experience with ELN and LIMS systems is a plus
· Familiarity with lab automation is a plus
· An excellent work ethic and willingness to work collaboratively in a fast-paced work environment are essential
Turnstone Biologics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected will be invited for an interview.