Turnstone Biologics (“Turnstone”), a privately held clinical stage biotech company, is developing breakthrough cancer immunotherapies by advancing two leading and complementary platforms that drive innate and adaptive tumor immunity, to provide benefit to the millions of cancer patients underserved by current treatment options. Turnstone’s proprietary vaccinia virus platform is engineered to drive coordinated immune activation, potent viral activity, and local expression of encoded therapeutics. The innovative TIL cell therapy platform leverages clinically validated treatment protocols and has been specifically designed to extend beyond the use of bulk TILs to enrich for the most relevant T-cells for tumor eradication, preserving broad antigen diversity and minimizing time to treatment for patients. The Company has an ongoing Phase 1/2a trial in solid tumors (RAPTOR) for its leading oncolytic virus candidate, RIVAL-01, and is expecting to file an IND for the lead TIL therapy candidate, TIDAL-01, in 2021.
At Turnstone, the science drives decision-making and our therapeutics are designed with the patient foremost in mind. We continue to build a world-class, high-performing company that embraces being a learning organization with a sense of urgency. Imagine coming to work every day where over-communication, transparency, teaching, listening, asking, thinking, working hard, and having fun are normal – actually, expected? Imagine having a coach, mentor, peers, and partners where candid feedback, self-improvement, risk taking, failing, learning from that failing, and succeeding thereafter are what we call ‘another day at Turnstone’? If you are a passionate person, and our science excites you – this opportunity may be for you.
What would it be like?
As the Associate Scientist in the Analytical Development team, you will report to the Sr. Scientist of Analytical Development within the Virus Development and Manufacturing department. You will be a critical member of the Virus Development and Manufacturing team striving to address the biophysical analytical needs and support product characterization, in-process characterization, process development and investigations for a portfolio of live virus therapeutics based in our RIVAL platform (highly engineered vaccinia virus).
The responsibilities for this role include:
· Drive the development of biophysical and analytical chemical methods including but not limited to DLS, NTA, LC-MS, HPLC, SEM, SEC-MALS and flow cytometry
· Support the development and continuous improvement of molecular assays including qPCRs and ELISAs
· Support product characterization, in-process characterization, process-related investigations and transfer of analytical methods
· Work closely and effectively with external CROs and vendors to drive projects to completion in a timely and scientifically sound manner
· Collaborate with the Process Development and Formulation and Drug Product Development teams to identify analytical needs and make decisions on the technologies that support these needs
· Collaborate with the Analytical Operations, Analytical Life Cycle Management and QC teams for the development and transfer of new methods for characterization and/or release
· Perform data analysis and trend critical metrics to monitor method performance across various testing sites
What’s in it for you?
In this role, you will have the opportunity to develop your ability to think both strategically and drive fast-paced execution. With our company size and growth, we will give you plenty of opportunities for you to be an inspirational and collaborative leader. Passionate about being a part of a critical function of a growing company and continuous learning? You will be engaged in building a team and a workflow that plays a critical role in getting cutting edge therapies to people suffering from cancer.
We are in the early stages of building strategies, structures, and processes so this role will be busy and expanding. You would have the opportunity to create something new and ‘WOW!’ all of us and grow right along with the company.
How do you know if you’re the right fit?
Turnstone Technical Operations is a virtual organization, where the majority of our wet bench work is executed at third party CMO/CRO partners. We have offices in Ottawa, Canada and San Diego, USA and this role would ideally inspire you to relocate. Most of our virus development team is stationed in Ottawa and most of our partnerships are in Europe – therefore being in Ottawa would be ideal, but if you believe you can be successful in San Diego, we would love to speak with you! This role is best suited for someone with the following:
· B.Sc./M.Sc. in Biophysical/Analytical Chemistry or Life Sciences fields
· 2+ years of experience with developing and optimizing biophysical and chemical analytical techniques in Pharmaceutical/Biologics industry
· Experience with molecular-based assays is preferred
· Experience with live virus products or biological products is an asset
· Self-motivated and efficient, able to manage responsibilities with an appropriate sense of urgency, and function effectively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
· Able to manage competing priorities effectively and adapt to changing priorities
· Excellent communication skills with the proven ability to build open and collaborative relationships, working effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary team
· Strong interpersonal skills and a communication style that matches the Turnstone style: respectful, transparent, with a high degree of integrity and humility
· Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Excel and statistical software, such as JMP
Turnstone Biologics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected will be invited for an interview.