Turnstone Biologics (“Turnstone”), a privately held clinical stage biotech company, is developing breakthrough cancer immunotherapies by advancing two leading and complementary platforms that drive innate and adaptive tumor immunity, to provide benefit to the millions of cancer patients underserved by current treatment options. Turnstone’s proprietary vaccinia virus platform is engineered to drive coordinated immune activation, potent viral activity, and local expression of encoded therapeutics. The innovative TIL cell therapy platform leverages clinically validated treatment protocols and has been specifically designed to extend beyond the use of bulk TILs to enrich for the most relevant T-cells for tumor eradication, preserving broad antigen diversity and minimizing time to treatment for patients. The Company has an ongoing Phase 1/2a trial in solid tumors (RAPTOR) for its leading oncolytic virus candidate, RIVAL-01, and is expecting to file an IND for the lead TIL therapy candidate, TIDAL-01, in 2021.
At Turnstone, the science drives decision making and our therapeutics are designed with the patient foremost in mind. We continue to build a world-class, high-performing company that embraces being a learning organization with a sense of urgency. Imagine coming to work every day where over-communication, transparency, teaching, listening, asking, thinking, working hard, and having fun are normal – actually, expected? Imagine having a coach, mentor, peers, and partners where candid feedback, self-improvement, risk taking, failing, learning from that failing, and succeeding thereafter are what we call ‘another day at Turnstone’? If you are a passionate person, and our science excites you – this opportunity may be for you.
As a Technologist within the Virus Development and Manufacturing Sciences Team (CMC), you will assist with downstream process and formulation development, as well as product characterization activities for our virus-based platforms. The responsibilities will include:
- Assist in evaluating novel virus purification technologies and scale-up options
- Participate in technology transfer and scale-up of downstream/manufacturing processes
- Preparation of solutions/reagents and equipment set-up for lab-scale experiments
- Perform process characterization studies (e.g. impurity clearance, process limit evaluations)
- Execute experiments to assess drug product stability and optimize formulations
- Perform studies to evaluate drug delivery systems used in the clinic and test compatibility with product-contact materials (e.g. bioprocessing bags/conatiners, IV bags, etc.)
- Ensure compliance to GLP/GDP, and maintain accurate records of all experimental data following GDP
- Assist in drafting protocols/LSPs, analyzing data and preparing technical reports
- Collaborate with members of the Virus Development and Analytical Development teams to coordinate experiments and testing
- Ensure good teamwork and support high-quality deliverables
- Perform daily duties to comply with Turnstone’s employment and health & safety and labour policies, procedures and regulations
We are in the early stages of process and drug product development, so this role will be busy and expanding. You will have the opportunity to create something new and ‘WOW!’ all of us and grow right along with the company.
Experience and qualifications
Turnstone has offices in Ottawa, Canada and San Diego, USA. Most of our Virus Development and Manufacturing Sciences team is stationed in Ottawa, and this role will be based in our Ottawa labs. This lab-based role is best suited for someone with the following:
- Bachelors or Masters in Biochemical Engineering, Biotechnology or in a related Science field (virology, biology, biochemistry, protein chemistry, pharmaceutical chemistry), with 2+ years of hands-on experience in an academic or industrial laboratory setting
- General knowledge of virology, cell biology and protein chemistry
- Experience in buffer/solution preparation, experimental data collection/analysis and technical report writing
- Experience in virus infection/harvest and mammalian cell culture in adherent and/or suspension bioreactors is considered an asset
- Experience in downstream process development, including clarification, chromatography and Tangential Flow Filtration, is considered an asset
- Excellent communication (both written and spoken) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage competing priorities effectively, adapt to changing priorities and function effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint and Word
Turnstone Biologics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected will be invited for an interview.