Turnstone Biologics (“Turnstone”), a privately held clinical stage biotech company, is developing breakthrough cancer immunotherapies by advancing two leading and complementary platforms that drive innate and adaptive tumor immunity, to provide benefit to the millions of cancer patients underserved by current treatment options. Turnstone’s proprietary vaccinia virus platform is engineered to drive coordinated immune activation, potent viral activity, and local expression of encoded therapeutics. The innovative TIL cell therapy platform leverages clinically validated treatment protocols and has been specifically designed to extend beyond the use of bulk TILs to enrich for the most relevant T-cells for tumor eradication, preserving broad antigen diversity and minimizing time to treatment for patients. The Company has an ongoing Phase 1/2a trial in solid tumors (RAPTOR) for its leading oncolytic virus candidate, RIVAL-01, and is expecting to file an IND for the lead TIL therapy candidate, TIDAL-01, in 2021.
At Turnstone, the science drives decision making and our therapeutics are designed with the patient foremost in mind. We continue to build a world-class, high-performing company that embraces being a learning organization with a sense of urgency. Imagine coming to work every day where over-communication, transparency, teaching, listening, asking, thinking, working hard, and having fun are normal – actually, expected? Imagine having a coach, mentor, peers, and partners where candid feedback, self-improvement, risk taking, failing, learning from that failing, and succeeding thereafter are what we call ‘another day at Turnstone’? If you are a passionate person, and our science excites you – this opportunity may be for you.
We are currently seeking a highly qualified, motivated and experienced individual for the position of Sr. Accountant/Accounting Manager – reporting to the Assistant Controller and will interact with the Vice President of Finance and various levels of management and third-party vendors. The ideal candidate is a licensed CPA with biotechnology or pharmaceutical/life sciences experience, public company experience a plus.
This position will have accountability and responsibility for supporting aspects of the company’s financial reporting requirements including the preparation of monthly and quarterly close packages to ensure accuracy and quality of financial statements and disclosures in accordance with US GAAP, journal entry and account reconciliations, variance analytics and ability to assist in addressing technical accounting issues arising from business transactions. This candidate will primarily be responsible for meeting each month-end close and all supporting documentation including (proper accruals and reconciliations).
This role will provide analytical and strategic support to Clinical Ops, Regulatory, Tech Ops and other R&D business owners. This role requires critical thinking skills, effective organizational skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and a strong ability to build effective relationships across the Company.
- Responsible for supporting aspects of month end close such as accruals, journal entries, account reconciliations, technical accounting and procure to pay and payroll cycle
- Assist in gathering data from key stakeholders to prepare schedules and analytics
- Work with external auditor to support the audit process
- Support the timely and accurate preparation, review and completion of all month and quarter end close package’s
- Ownership of monthly & quarterly accruals – ensure accuracy for Budget vs. Actual (BvA) and departments
- Comply with internal controls and processes over financial reporting
- Staying abreast of new accounting principles, SEC reporting and general trends within the biotechnology industry
- Assess quarterly transactions for disclosure, and assist with technical accounting and IRS ruling research including draft of memos
- Ensures integrity of the company’s accounting system, including new account, department and project set-up, financial report development and maintenance, and interfaces between payroll, equity, financial planning and expense management systems to the general ledger
- Provides support to all other teams across the company as needs arise, including special projects, system improvements or ad-hoc financial analyses as assigned
- 3+ years of relevant experience (biotech/pharma industry preferred)
- Active CPA preferred (Big four audit experience preferred)
- Strong knowledge and understanding of US GAAP and SEC Regulations.
- Proficiency in Excel and Word and ability to learn new systems quickly are required
- An independent problem-solver with strong work ethics and intellectual curiosity will thrive
- Attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and strong interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication are essential in this collaborative work environment
- Requires strong leadership and diplomacy skills to guide teams and facilitate collaboration
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance with progressive accounting experience (publicly traded company experience preferred)
- Experience with integrated systems including financial reporting, general ledger, purchasing, and payables management (NetSuite ERP a plus)
- Ability to engage peers from across the organization and direct/indirect reports
- Ability to work in a dynamic work environment across multiple geographies
- Biotech/Pharma/lifesciences experience
- Strong team orientation and highly collaborative