Director / Senior Director Human Resources
Turnstone Biologics Inc. is the leading virus-based immunoncology biotechnology company developing novel oncolytic vaccine therapeutics for people with cancer. Our first-in-class platform technology attacks tumours using a two-pronged approach: targeted and robust tumour killing using an oncolytic virus, in combination with a cancer vaccine that generates long-lasting anti-tumour immune responses. Turnstone is building a world-class, high-performing team that embraces being a learning organization with a sense of urgency. Turnstone has a seasoned board of directors and venture capital partners, is enrolling clinical studies, has a rich development portfolio, and highly active R&D efforts led by a world-class scientific management team. Turnstone is co-located in Ottawa, Canada and New York, USA. For more information, please visit www.turnstonebio.com.
What would it be like?
Imagine coming to work every day where over-communication, transparency, teaching, listening, asking, thinking, working hard, and having fun are normal – actually, expected? Imagine having a coach, mentor, peers, and partners where candid feedback, self-improvement, risk taking, failing, learning from that failing, and succeeding are what we call ‘another day at Turnstone’? At Turnstone, the science drives decision making, and our drugs are designed with the patient in mind. Like the disease we’re fighting, our platform is complex, and transformative. If you’re a passionate person, and our science excites you – this opportunity may be for you.
The Director / Senior Director Human Resources will provide a full range of HR support, build and sustain relationships with all levels of Turnstone. This role will effectively influence analysis and decision-making in the areas of leadership, talent management and development, succession planning, change management, work force planning, organization development and design, performance management, talent acquisition and employee relations.
· Partner with the business leaders and hiring managers to establish and implement a vision for recruiting and retention strategy that drives the successful sourcing, recruitment and retention of targeted talent internally and externally.
· Develop and drive a strong employment brand that positions the company as an employer of choice within the industry.
· Work with managers to create job descriptions.
· Contribute to compensation strategy and offers.
· Evaluate and manage external vendors for job postings, recruitment, and sourcing.
· Review and assess candidates to determine fit with the company and the position.
· Coordinate with hiring managers and Executive Assistant to schedule phone and in-person interviews with potential candidates.
· Formulate and present employment offer packages.
· Manage applicant tracking system.
· Review and approve expense reimbursements for interviewing candidates.
· Ensure all pre-employment screening is complete.
· Provide guidance, direction, coaching, feedback, and training to hiring managers and employees.
· Train hiring managers and other interviewing panel on appropriate and effective interview techniques.
· Ensures that new hire information is communicated to relevant stakeholders across the organization. Coordinate on-boarding process with HR Manager, Facilities, IT, Finance and Quality.
Labor Laws and Regulations
· Proactively ensure that HR policies and practices are consistently applied and meet relevant labor laws and other regulatory requirements for both the US and Canada.
· Ensure consistency of written policies and employee informational materials with each other, as well as with state and federal regulations.
· Coach/Advise managers and employees (issues resolution, performance management, etc.).
· Addresses employee relations issues including conflict resolution and workplace investigations; provides guidance and documentation related to disciplinary actions and termination.
· Respond to sensitive and confidential issues and concerns raised by all levels of employees in a confidential, timely, and objective manner. Maintain awareness of general employee issues concerns and recommend solutions.
· Coordinate and support annual and mid-year performance review process.
· Ensure manager and employees align individual goals to corporate and department goals and objectives.
· Coach managers and employees.
· Update and maintain internal compensation documents and charts.
· Provide assistance in reporting compensation information to the survey vendors.
· Assist with the compensation analysis, review and adjustments.
· Conduct exit interviews and prepare summary reports.
· Prepare management reports as requested.
· Other HR initiatives and projects as needed
What’s in it for you?
In this role, you will have the opportunity to develop your a
We are in the early stages of building strategies, structures and process so this role will be busy and expanding. You would have the opportunity to create something new and ‘WOW!’ all of us and grow right along with the company.
How do you know if you’re the right fit?
· BA/BS in Human Resources, Psychology, or related field required. PHR/SPHR a plus. Equivalent experience may be accepted.
· 12 / 15 years of professional level HR experience, including Human Resource Business Partner and Talent Acquisition roles.
· Experience working in Biotech or Pharma desired.
· Prior HRBP experience desired.
· Demonstrated ability to work in fast paced environment with geographically dispersed workforce.
· Self-motivated and self-confident individual who is able to forge and maintain strategic business partnerships and interface with all levels of employees in the organization.
· Knowledge of Federal Labor Laws and State Labor Laws and regulations
Turnstone Biologics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected will be invited for an interview.