Turnstone Biologics Inc. is the leading virus-based immuno-oncology biotechnology company developing novel oncolytic vaccine therapeutics for cancer patients. Our first-in-class platform technology attacks tumors using a two-pronged approach: targeted and robust tumor killing using an oncolytic virus, in combination with a cancer vaccine that generates long-lasting anti-tumor immune responses. Turnstone is building a world-class, high-performing team that embraces being a learning organization with a sense of urgency. Turnstone has a seasoned board of directors and venture capital partners, is enrolling clinical studies, has a rich development portfolio, and highly active R&D efforts led by a world-class scientific management team. Turnstone is co-located in Ottawa, Canada and New York, USA. For more information, please visit www.turnstonebio.com.
How do you know if you’re the right fit?
Imagine coming to work every day where over-communication, transparency, teaching, listening, asking, thinking, working hard, and having fun are normal – actually, expected? Imagine having a coach, mentor, peers, and partners where candid feedback, self-improvement, risk taking, failing, learning from that failing, and succeeding are what we call ‘another Thursday at Turnstone’? At Turnstone, the science drives decision making, and our drugs are designed with the patient in mind. Like the disease we’re fighting, our platform is complex, and transformative. If you’re a passionate person, and our science excites you – this opportunity may be for you.
We are currently seeking a highly qualified, motivated and experienced individual for the position of Accounting Manager. This position will report to the Assistant Controller and will interact with the Vice President of Finance and various levels of management and third-party vendors. The ideal candidate is a licensed CPA with biotechnology or pharmaceutical experience.
This position will have accountability and responsibility for supporting aspects of the company’s financial reporting requirements including the preparation of monthly and quarterly close packages to ensure accuracy and quality of financial statements and disclosures in accordance with US GAAP, journal entry and account reconciliations, variance analytics and ability to assist in addressing technical accounting issues arising from business transactions. This candidate will primarily be responsible for meeting each month-end close and all supporting documentation for proper accruals.
This role will provide analytical and strategic support to Clinical Ops, Regulatory, Tech Ops and other R&D business owners. This role requires critical thinking skills, effective organizational skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and a strong ability to build effective relationships across the Company.
- Assist in gathering data from key stakeholders to prepare schedules and analytics
- Responsible for supporting aspects of month end close such as accruals, journal entries, account reconciliations, technical accounting and purchase to pay and payroll cycle
- Work with external auditor to support the audit process
- Support the timely and accurate preparation, review and completion of all month and quarter end close package’s
- Ownership of monthly & quarterly accruals
- Comply with internal controls and processes over financial reporting
- Staying abreast of new accounting principles, SEC reporting and general trends within the financial services industry
- Assess quarterly transactions for disclosure, and assist with technical accounting and IRS ruling research, draft memos
- Ensures integrity of the company’s accounting system, including new account, department and project set-up, financial report development and maintenance, and interfaces between payroll, equity, financial planning and expense management systems to the general ledger
- Provides support to all other teams across the company as needs arise, including special projects, system improvements or ad-hoc financial analyses as assigned
- BA/BS degree in Accounting, Finance or similar focus
- CPA or CPA candidate with 4+ years of public/private accounting experience (publicly traded biotech/pharma industry preferred)
- Strong knowledge and understanding of US GAAP and SEC Regulations.
- Proficiency in Excel and Word and ability to learn new systems quickly are required
- An independent problem-solver with strong work ethics and intellectual curiosity will thrive
- Attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and strong interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication are essential in this collaborative work environment
- Requires strong leadership and diplomacy skills to guide teams and facilitate collaboration
- Experience with integrated systems including financial reporting, general ledger, purchasing, payables management (NetSuite ERP a plus)
- Ability to engage peers from across the organization and direct/indirect reports
- Ability to work in a dynamic work environment