Office Manager and Human Resources Administrator
Turnstone Biologics Inc. is the leading virus-based immunoncology biotechnology company developing novel oncolytic vaccine therapeutics for cancer patients. Our first-in-class platform technology attacks tumours using a two-pronged approach: targeted and robust tumour killing using an oncolytic virus, in combination with a cancer vaccine that generates long-lasting anti-tumour immune responses. Turnstone is building a world-class, high-performing team that embraces being a learning organization with a sense of urgency. Turnstone has a seasoned board of directors and venture capital partners, is enrolling clinical studies, has a rich development portfolio, and highly active R&D efforts led by a world-class scientific management team. Turnstone is co-located in Ottawa, Canada and New York, USA. For more information, please visit www.turnstonebio.com.
How do you know if you’re the right fit?
Imagine coming to work every day where over-communication, transparency, teaching, listening, asking, thinking, working hard, and having fun are normal – actually, expected? Imagine having a coach, mentor, peers, and partners where candid feedback, self-improvement, risk taking, failing, learning from that failing, and succeeding are what we call ‘another Thursday at Turnstone’? At Turnstone, the science drives decision making, and our drugs are designed with the patient in mind. Like the disease we’re fighting, our platform is complex, and transformative. If you’re a passionate person, and our science excites you – this opportunity may be for you.
If you are interested in being the key “go-to” admin person of our Ottawa office, then this role may be for you! Your role will partner closely with most facets of the all the local departments, allowing you to understand the product and process as well as creating our interal administrative system within which we work. You’ll be an integral part of the global admin team, working closely with others in our Ottawa and Hamilton location to ensure the highest quality of consistency and effiency. You will have experience working with some or all the following, as they relate to HR, Executive Admin or Office Management duties:
• Manage the daily operations of the new Ottawa office; including solving administrative problems, addressing human resource issues, and managing supplies within the office
• Support the daily operations of the human resources department including coordinating interviews, hosting candidates, expense reports, offer letters, onboarding, and other duties
• Maintain office organization, professional work environment, and functionality
• Answer incoming telephone calls, greet clients and visitors, and direct them to the conference room or appropriate offices.
• Provide support with daily administrative functions and work on projects to improve efficiencies in the office
• Ensure internal and external guest meetings/ events run efficiently and on time
• Prepare and proactively maintain complex itineraries
• Track travel expenditures and prepare and submit expense reports
• Prepare, coordinate and execute verbal and written communications with meticulous detail and accuracy
• Order office supplies, snacks and drinks for the office and managing inventory levels
• Assist with organization of the annual holiday party
• Manage conference room schedule, including clean up before/after meetings
• Serve as point of contact for building and maintenance staff
What’s in it for you?
In this role, you will have the opportunity to develop this role from scratch. We have not had an HR person yet at Turnstone in Ottawa, we are moving into a brand new space in Q4 2019, we have a lot of new employees…so we are all learning together. Thus, you have the opportunity to create something new and ‘WOW!’ all of us and grow right along with the company.
This role is best suited for a some with the following:
• Bachelor’s degree with minimum of 10 years of administrative experience
• Minimum 2+ years HR experience or supporting a HR Executive/Department.
• Prior experience in a support role in biotech/ life sciences industry preferred
• Knowledge of HR processes and procedures/legal compliance.
• Approachable and responsive resource able to connect with employees at all levels
• Ability to manage multiple priorities and consistently meet specific, time sensitive tasks within a fast-paced and small company environment
• Strong internal and external customer service focus, with a genuine desire to assist others
• Strong project management and complex problem-solving skills
• Ability to work effectively with multiple leaders and manage and prioritize multiple priorities and projects with strong attention to detail
• Demonstrated team player while also able to operate independently
• Able to handle sensitive situations and confidential information with professionalism, good judgement and discretion
• Superior business judgment making decisions pertaining to expenses, travel, and priorities
• Proactive, self-motivated and flexible, with an ability to learn and adapt to new systems as they evolve
• Advanced proficiency with Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word in an Apple/iOS environment
Turnstone Biologics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected will be invited for an interview.