Imagine coming to work every day where over-communication, transparency, teaching, listening, asking, thinking, working hard, and having fun are normal – actually, expected? Imagine having a coach, mentor, peers, and partners where candid feedback, self-improvement, risk taking, failing, learning from that failing, and succeeding are what we call ‘another day at Turnstone’? At Turnstone, the science drives decision making, and our drugs are designed with the patient in mind. Like the disease we’re fighting, our platform is complex, and transformative. If you’re a passionate person, and our science excites you – this opportunity may be for you.
Our Bioprocess Development and Manufacturing Sciences (PD&MS) team within the overall Technical Operations department is growing. As an Associate Scientist on the PD&MS team, you will report to the Process Development Engineer responsible for leading all of the upstream process development activities, like cell line and media development, optimization of cell culture, bioreactor engineering and virus manufacturing. The responsibilities for this position span across our multi-virus platform and include:
· Study design, planning and implementation to drive process development activities to include protocol design, data analysis, and report writing.
· Building and maintaining data-rich batch analysis to enable data interpretation and ongoing trending
· Communicating study findings at internal Technical Operations meetings, and to external stakeholders via powerpoint presentation of the analyzed data
· Technology transfer of process development successes to larger scale and GMP
· Cell line and cell train development to fit to new bioreactors, reduce the use of animal-derived additives, and enable high virus productivity from cells
· Optimize virus infection and harvest conditions to ensure maximum productivity per cell
· Building and utilizing process engineering knowledge and analyzing processes to identify areas for improvement
· Conduct research on literature, new technologies and process data to offer insight and direction with regards to upstream process development approaches and findings
What’s in it for you?
In this role, you will have the opportunity to develop your ability to think both strategically and drive fast-paced execution. With our company size and growth we will give you plenty of opportunities for you to be an inspirational and collaborative co-functional leader. Passionate about being a part of a critical function of a growing company and continuous learning? We will have plenty of that for you!
We are in the early stages of building strategies, structures and process so this role will be busy and expanding. We also have opportinites for you to be a mentor to other team members. You would have the opportunity to create something new and ‘WOW!’ all of us and grow right along with the company.
How do you know if you’re the right fit?
- The Assocoate Scientist will be positioned in our Ottawa, Canada office Head Quarters
- A Bachelor’s of Science (BSc) and Master’s degree in one of these related fields: virology, biochemistry, or molecular biology (PhD considered an asset)
- Virology focused post-graduate degree highly desirable
- Strong knowledge of virology, mammalian cell culture, viral molecular biology and/or virus processing/manufacture is required
- 3+ years of experience post-education working in Industry, academia, or research laboratory
- Experienced and confident in presenting data to key stakeholders and external partners
- Innovative thinker with a proven track record of designing complex yet targeted experiments to answer key questions
- Analytical minded individual with the ability to investigate technically challenging problems
- Mature interpersonal skills and a communication style that matches the Turnstone style: respectful, transparent, and constant
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Excel and Powerpoint
- Self-motivated and efficient, able to manage responsibilities with an appropriate sense of urgency and function effectively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Able to manage competing priorities effectively and adapt to changing priorities
Turnstone Biologics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected will be invited for an interview.