Turnstone Biologics Inc. is the leading virus-based immunoncology biotechnology company developing novel oncolytic vaccine therapeutics for cancer patients. Our first-in-class platform technology attacks tumours using a two-pronged approach: targeted and robust tumour killing using an oncolytic virus, in combination with a cancer vaccine that generates long-lasting anti-tumour immune responses. Turnstone is building a world-class, high-performing team that embraces being a learning organization with a sense of urgency. Turnstone has a seasoned board of directors and venture capital partners, is enrolling clinical studies, has a rich development portfolio, and highly active R&D efforts led by a world-class scientific management team. Turnstone is co-located in Ottawa, Canada and New York, USA.
How do you know if you’re the right fit?
Imagine coming to work every day where over-communication, transparency, teaching, listening, asking, thinking, working hard, and having fun are normal – actually, expected? Imagine having a coach, mentor, peers, and partners where candid feedback, self-improvement, risk taking, failing, learning from that failing, and succeeding are what we call ‘another Thursday at Turnstone’? At Turnstone, the science drives decision making, and our drugs are designed with the patient in mind. Like the disease we’re fighting, our platform is complex, and transformative. If you’re a passionate person, and our science excites you – this opportunity may be for you.
If you are interested in being a part of a growing IT and business operations team, then this role may be for you! Your role will be to work directly with the CFO and manage the global Information Technology and Informatics function. Lead the design, implementation and growth of our information architecture. This individual will manage infrastructure and resources to meet organizational needs and will be responsible for working cross-functionally with all departments to identify long-term, scalable, practical solutions for research and operations as the organization grows. He/she will be expected to establish close partnerships with colleagues from multiple disciplines to translate business needs into state-of-the-art informatics solutions. You will have experience working with some or all the following, as they relate to the Director of IT duties:
- Provide strong leadership and business acumen, as well as data and analytical skills and relationship-building capabilities to inspire the organization around common goals, vision and values for IT and informatics
- Define and implement data architecture and company-wide strategy for data storage, processing, analysis and mining
- Serve as champion for global data management, governance, quality and vendor relationships across the company
- Establish an architecture and a collection of integrated decision-support applications and databases, providing the company easy access to corporate data.
- Grow the breadth and depth of department expertise to meet short and long-term corporate objectives
- Oversee contingency planning and IT security and compliance by establishing controls and processes in support of data security, PHI, SOX and other relevant regulatory requirements
- Manage vendors, consultants and overall budget for data management and IT
- Lead the planning and estimation of IT & Informatics projects
- Regularly and effectively communicate with key project stakeholders, keeping them advised of project progress and generally making IT activities transparent to stakeholders
- Set strategy for IT infrastructure and software capabilities for current and future organizational needs
- Maintain ongoing knowledge of industry trends and ability to utilize that knowledge to determine the most efficient ways to meet business needs
- Communicate strategy to scientific personnel, operations and senior management to ensure alignment
- Measures availability, performance, capacity, and utilization of IT and Informatics services
- Detects, monitors, reports, manages, escalates and ultimately prevents service failures and/or degradations.
- Takes ownership of security across the board and lead IT related compliance for the Company.
- Collaborate with others to facilitate business needs definition, workflow design and integration of scientific processes and technology into effective IT solutions
- Understanding and familiarity with Mac, Apple iOS preferred
- Work with R&D team to develop and implement computational biology strategy, goals and evolution of the team
- Implement and maintain key research systems, including ELN, LIMS and Results Management
- Grow and effectively maintain cloud-based computing environment
- Develop and implement data integration and analytics strategy
What’s in it for you?
In this role, you will have the opportunity to develop your ability to think both strategically and drive fast-paced execution. With our company size and growth we will give you plenty of opportunities for you to be an inspirational and collaborative co-functional leader. Passionate about IT and Information and continuous learning? We will have plenty of that for you!
We are in the early stages of building strategies, structures and process so this role will be busy and expanding. We also have opportunities for you to be mentor to other team members. You would have the opportunity to create something new and ‘WOW!’ all of us and grow right along with the company.
This role is best suited for a some with the following:
- Advanced degree in life sciences, plus 7-10 years of relevant experience working in Biotech
- 5-7 years of experience managing and implementing informatics and IT solutions in a start-up, biotech environment
- Ability to identify impediments to complex business and research issues and provide timely and cost-effective solutions
- Solid scientific/ technical knowledge to be able to successfully ensure project scope and fit technology for applications, networking and information systems strategic roadmap and execution of all Informatics solutions and IT services
- Experience with evaluating, implementing and managing scientific data management platforms, cloud computing (AWS), Document control/electronic lab notebook software, on-site storage solutions and IT vendor services
- Prior experience and record of accomplishment leading cross functional teams and delivering on schedule in a start-up biotech environment
- Prior experience in successfully implementing, utilizing and leveraging outsourcing strategies
- Practical understanding of relational database design and development
- Demonstrated understanding of the software development lifecycle
- Ability to adapt to increasing scope and complexity of work brought on by growth/change and helps others manage through change
- Strong written, oral and public speaking communication skills.
Turnstone Biologics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected will be invited for an interview.