Turnstone Biologics is a clinical-stage, immuno-oncology company focused on the development of next-generation oncolytic viral immunotherapies for patients with a broad range of solid tumors. Turnstone’s unique, first-in-class oncolytic viral immunotherapies harness anti-tumor immunity by combining the potent tumor-killing effects of an oncolytic virus with a tumor-targeted T-cell vaccine. Our robust pipeline of early-stage biologics, based on our MG1 oncolytic virus platform, are in development for multiple solid tumors and are being evaluated in combination with other immunotherapies, including checkpoint inhibitors, to drive unprecedented, durable T-cell immune responses. Turnstone continues to build a world-class, high-performing company that embraces being a learning organization with a sense of urgency. Turnstone has a seasoned board of directors and venture capital partners, and highly active R&D efforts led by a world-class scientific management team. Turnstone is co-located in Ottawa, and Hamilton, Canada and New York, USA.
We are currently seeking a highly qualified, motivated and experienced individual for the position of Assistant Controller. The ideal candidate is a licensed CPA with biotechnology or pharmaceutical experience.
This position will have accountability and responsibility for aspects of the company’s financial reporting requirements including IPO readiness and potential SEC filings (coordinate the preparation of close packages amongst key stakeholders to ensure accuracy and quality of financial statements and disclosures), risk management, variance analytics, addressing technical accounting issues arising from business transactions and manage and grow a team. This candidate will primarily be responsible for meeting each month-end close, this candidate is responsible for accounting entries requiring high accounting acumen (i.e. revenue and stock compensation expense).
The Assistant Controller will oversee integration of new accounting pronouncements. This position will also assist in building the infrastructure, processes and controls to achieve SOX compliance. This includes working with IT to utilize existing financial systems in the most effective manner to develop scalable and efficient accounting processes.
This individual frequently interacts with accounting staff, IT, HR, Legal, International Operations (travel necessary for close at first) and other key stakeholders across the organization as well as external auditors. This role requires critical thinking skills, effective organizational skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and a strong ability to build effective relationships across the Company.
- Manage external reporting process, working with accounting, FP&A and consultants; assist in gathering data from key stakeholders to prepare schedules and analytics
- Responsible for leading and managing aspects of month end close, technical accounting, equity accounting, Stock option & ESPP, purchase to pay and payroll cycle
- Work with external auditor to manage the audit process
- Responsible for managing staff and review of full purchase to pay cycles and payroll cycle
- Prepare and communicate the quarterly close reporting calendar, which involves coordinating key timelines and deliverables to the external auditors, legal team, tax partner and senior mgmt.
- Manage the timely and accurate preparation, review and filing of all external financial reports, including those potentially filed with the SEC on Form 10-Q, 10-K and 8-K and associated consolidated financial statements, footnotes, management discussion and analysis
- For the Company’s financial statements, prepare disclosure checklists and disclosure meeting presentations, ensure the filings are properly formatted and accurate and perform XBRL tagging
- Comply with internal controls related to the SEC reporting process in support of management’s and the external auditors’ assessment of internal controls over financial reporting
- Staying abreast of new accounting principles, SEC reporting and general trends within the financial services industry
- Develop and own tax function working with external consultant
- Assess quarterly transactions for disclosure, perform technical accounting and IRS ruling research, draft memos
- Coordinates/monitors/reviews the execution of key processes including those in support of management’s assessment of internal controls over financial reporting in accordance with the COSO Framework and Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX)
- Ensures integrity of the company’s accounting system, including new account, department and project set-up, financial report development and maintenance, and interfaces between payroll, equity, financial planning and expense management systems to the general ledger
- Provides support to all other teams across the company as needs arise, including special projects, system improvements or ad-hoc financial analyses as assigned
- 8+ years of relevant experience (biotech/pharma industry preferred)
- Active CPA (Big four audit experience preferred)
- Strong knowledge and understanding of US GAAP and SEC Regulations.
- Proficiency in Excel and Word and ability to learn new systems quickly are required
- An independent problem-solver with strong work ethics and intellectual curiosity will thrive
- Attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and strong interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication are essential in this collaborative work environment
- Requires strong leadership and diplomacy skills to guide teams and facilitate collaboration
- Bachelor’s degree (MBA Preferred) in Accounting or Finance with progressive accounting experience in publicly traded companies
- Experience with integrated systems including financial reporting, general ledger, purchasing, payables management (NetSuite ERP a plus)
- Experience with assessing, designing and implementing internal controls over financial reporting
- Ability to engage peers from across the organization and direct/indirect reports
- Ability to work in a dynamic work environment
- Biotech/Pharma experience
- Strong team orientation and highly collaborative
Turnstone Biologics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected will be invited for an interview.