Turnstone Biologics Inc. is the leading virus-based immunoncology biotechnology company developing novel oncolytic vaccine therapeutics for cancer patients. Our first-in-class platform technology attacks tumours using a two-pronged approach: targeted and robust tumour killing using an oncolytic virus, in combination with a cancer vaccine that generates long-lasting anti-tumour immune responses. Turnstone is building a world-class, high-performing team that embraces being a learning organization with a sense of urgency. Turnstone has a seasoned board of directors and venture capital partners, is enrolling clinical studies, has a rich development portfolio, and highly active R&D efforts led by a world-class scientific management team. Turnstone is located in Hamilton, Ottawa, Canada and New York, USA. For more information, please visit www.turnstonebio.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do you know if you’re the right fit?
Imagine coming to work every day where over-communication, transparency, teaching, listening, asking, thinking, working hard, and having fun are normal – actually, expected? Imagine having a coach, mentor, peers, and partners where candid feedback, self-improvement, risk taking, failing, learning from that failing, and succeeding are what we call ‘another Thursday at Turnstone’? At Turnstone, the science drives decision making, and our drugs are designed with the patient in mind. Like the disease we’re fighting, our platform is complex, and transformative. If you’re a passionate person, and our science excites you – this opportunity may be for you.
If you are interested in being the key “go-to” animal tech person, then this role may be for you! The Animal Research Tech will bring hands-on experience with mouse husbandry and procedures such as syngeneic murine tumour models, intravenous and intramuscular injections, blood collection and necropsy, including experience with processing blood and tissues for ex vivo analysis. You will have experience working with some or all the following, as they relate to Animal Research Technicina duties:
- Application of preclinical models to enable the translation of cancer therapies
- Characterizing in vivo models, ex vivo assays, syngeneic tumour models, mouse models to optimize their application in preclinical and translational studies for targeted therapies, cancer immunotherapies and combination therapies
- Be highly involved in mouse animal handling requiring subcutaneous, intraperitoneal and intravenous injections, frequent tumor measurements, and regular health monitoring of animals
- Preforms blood collection through multiple routes, gaseous anaesthesia, tissue harvesting, and animal necropsies
- Be involved in work with culture and/or cell separation methods; virus preparation; drug preparation
- Provide technical support for assays: viral titration, flow cytometry, and fluorescence microscopy
- Operate lab equipment such as centrifuges, pH meters, analytical balances, spectrophotometers, light microscopes and other equipment as instructed
- Performs simple or moderately complex technical procedures
- Participates in data entry and data analysis, including application of statistical analysis techniques using standard software
- May perform study-related administrative tasks. Compiles data from related and/or unrelated sources
- Communicates findings to other lab members and maintains records of experimental data
Other duties as required
This role is best suited for a some with the following:
- in related science; Veterinary Technician Diploma; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2-5 years’ experience working in research in either an academic or biotech/pharma setting with strong mouse-handling skills
- Working knowledge of CCAC guidelines, OMAFRA regulations and animal use protocols (AUPs)
- Knowledge and familiarity with regulations, standards, and guidelines for care and use of vertebrate animals in teaching, research, and service
- All work must be performed at the highest quality and with the highest regard for animal welfare.
- Must have attention to detail and excellent record keeping skills
- Must possess an excellent work ethic, maintain a professional attitude and maintain high standards to detail, being able to work independently and in a team environment with the ability to interact positively with other team members
- Must be able to detect, analyze and resolve issues professionally as they arise
Turnstone Biologics welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected will be invited for an interview.