Local Public Affairs Director
The California Apartment Association (CAA) is the nation’s largest statewide trade association serving the rental housing industry. CAA’s diverse membership includes thousands of individuals who own/manage rental housing and the largest corporate owners of apartments in California. CAA offers the thought leadership, government advocacy, information, and resources to ensure California’s rental housing providers offer quality homes and living experiences for the state’s renters.
Through a robust public affairs program and political action committee, CAA promotes common sense solutions to our state’s housing challenges and educates rental housing providers to help them understand, navigate, and comply with local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
The Local Public Affairs Director will leverage their background in public affairs, government relations, and politics to put their organizational, communication, and advocacy skills to work in a fast-paced environment aimed at delivering results for CAA’s members.
This individual will work on a variety of projects and programs---no two days will be the same. Working closely with the Executive Vice President, Local Public Affairs as part a team of public affairs professionals, attorneys, and government advocates, the position will serve the critical functions of monitoring legislative activity in a designated region, advocating on behalf of the association and its members with local and regional government bodies, and make recommendations to respond to legislative issues in that region on behalf of the CAA members
Success in this role requires one who communicates well, maintains discretion and confidentiality, anticipates needs, has impeccable organizational skills, and can proactively resolve issues.
Specific duties of this position include but are not limited to:
Policy & Communications Management/Research
- Write and edit emails, memos, board reports and other written materials with minimal supervision and required editing
- Research policy issues for the organization and members and prepare materials for meetings and presentations for internal and external audiences; compile reference materials and research
- Create PowerPoint presentations and draft talking points for presentations and speaking engagements
- Engage and lead member mobilization and communications efforts as assigned and consistent with CAA Branding & protocols
- Coordinate and assist with management of quality information in the CAA member database
Public Policy Advocacy
- Monitor governmental meeting agendas in a designated regions for issues affecting the CAA members; propose responses to address those issues
- Represent CAA’s position before government bodies on identified issues including writing letters, conducting research, providing public testimony, and communicating with city officials
- Oversee relationships between CAA and coalition groups and CAA members in designated region
- Communicate on issues of importance to State Legislators in a designated region
- Represent, as assigned, CAA at events
Qualifications Requirements (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities)
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Excellent technical skills in using Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint), Microsoft Outlook as well as SalesForce
- Extremely strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Discrete professional with strong interpersonal skills, ability to handle confidential information and the build relationships across the organization.
- Customer service orientation, pleasant and upbeat attitude, strong work ethic, and desire to help
- Detail-oriented and committed to accuracy with strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities and projects with excellent follow-through to meet deadlines.
- Comfortable with change and flexible.
- Ability to craft verbal and written communication with a keen sense of relationship-building and customer service
- Strong organization and project management skills - ability to see the big picture and to manage the small details, and to create and maintain systems that enhance organizational efficiency.
Compensation and Benefits: California Apartment Association offers a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience. Additional benefits include health insurance and 401(k) with employer contribution.
Office Location: CAA's main office is in Sacramento, with offices throughout California and employees may be able to work remotely.