Job Title: Manager, Brand Marketing
Reporting to: Lead, Brand Marketing
Location: Durham, North Carolina or Remote
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in 2023. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
Our Brand Marketing Team is looking for an experienced Brand Marketing Manager to launch our ConsciousTM Foods brand and its differentiated product portfolio into the Pre-Packaged Salad category in U.S. Retail and Foodservice Channels.
This position offers the rare opportunity to develop and launch a company’s first consumer-facing brand and products – to work with the Lead, Brand Marketing to develop the brand strategy, positioning, and consumer marketing strategy in the exciting arena of gene edited produce. The successful candidate will:
• Have a track record of launching differentiated brands and products, ideally in a fresh food or fresh beverage category.
• Be a creative thinker capable of championing breakthrough and high-performing consumer messaging and campaigns.
• Be adept at fielding and interpreting consumer research, as well as mining marketing analytics in order to drive insight-based strategies and decisions.
• Be skilled at leading the implementation of integrated marketing plans.
• Be a savvy verbal and written communicator who can build support for their ideas, drive progress toward organizational goals, and build win-win relationships with cross-functional partners.
• Be energized by the fast-paced, entrepreneurial culture of our mission-driven company.
• Cultivate productive relationships with cross-functional partners, including aligning on brand strategy, annual brand plans, and tactical plans.
• Develop brand and product positioning, claims, and plans with guidance from Lead, Brand Marketing.
• Represent Brand Marketing on the Vegetable Product Team, providing input on consumer requirements, consumer marketing plans/activities, and product-related graphics and claims.
• In conjunction with Brand Marketing and Trade Marketing Leads, manage consumer research projects with external research partners.
• Support consumer testing efforts w/cross-functional team. • Develop and implement cause-related marketing program with partner organization.
• Develop, execute, and track performance of consumer marketing plans, including digital, social, and traditional media advertising, with internal and external agency partners.
• Understand consumer promotion activities, including in-store, sampling, couponing, sweepstakes/contests, and loyalty programs.
• Develop and implement shopper marketing plans for Retail Channel customers and marketing assets for Foodservice Channel customers.
• Understand and track category / competitive panel info (buy rate, HH penetration, purchase frequency, market basket, etc.), pricing, and promotion.
• Analyze syndicated POS data for brand and category dynamics (ACV%, Dollar Velocity, Unit Velocity, category incrementality, etc.) to:
• Optimize marketing spend tactics.
• Partner with Lead, Category Management and Trade Marketing and Sales to build customer facing presentations and build retail level shopper marketing programs.
• Manage web and social content with support from internal and external partners.
• Manage brand creative development, including photo shoots.
• Manage packaging graphics implementation.
• Travel, up to 20%, is required for this role.
Required Education & Experience:
• Minimum of five years managing a brand and related products for a CPG or start-up company.
• Bachelor’s degree required; MBA preferred, or equivalent experience.
• Experience with consumer marketing planning and implementation, advertising, sampling and consumer promotion, packaging graphics, and shopper marketing.
• Skilled at managing agency and consultant projects.
• Demonstrated excellence in written and verbal communication.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to set clear priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to build productive working relationships with clients and colleagues across departments, geographic locations, and time zones.
• Syndicated data experience (HH Panel, Mintel, IRI/Nielsen POS) is ideal.
• Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
• Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays
• Casual work environment.
• Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
• A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and use hands to finger, handle or feel, and techniques that require fine motor skills and repetitive motions. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. The employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.