Job Title: Protein and RNA Scientist
Reporting to: Lead, Protein Science
Location: Durham, North Carolina
Pairwise is a mission-driven food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Founded in 2017 by eminent scientists in the gene editing and biotechnology fields, Pairwise holds licenses from Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital to base editing and high-fidelity enzymes. We also are tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. Our team is primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park and Durham areas of North Carolina.
About This Role:
Pairwise is changing the way the world eats and making incredible changes in how we drive progress in the produce aisle, and beyond. We’re looking for a motivated Scientist to join the Protein Science team and be part of our technology and product development. While we are a food+tech company, previous experience in plant systems is not required for this role. We are looking for a scientist to improve CRISPR-based gene editing technologies and who has experience in both RNA and protein biochemistry. This position is set up to be a growth opportunity, and so we are looking for a candidate that shows leadership potential on top of their experience in RNA and protein biochemistry.
Collaboration and teamwork is at the heart of who we are at Pairwise, so the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team is necessary for success. Furthermore, clear communication to internal and external stakeholders is critical in this role. Your contributions will be key to helping Pairwise meet technology and product development goals, as we bring our core passion and mission to fruition.
• Use expert knowledge of RNA and Protein to improve CRISPR-based gene editing technologies.
• Design cross-functional science plans towards improving of CRISPR-based technologies.
• Perform laboratory experiments personally and assign laboratory tasks to other team members towards achieving scientific goals.
• Actively track project timelines, deliverables, and milestones and report progress back to the business in a timely manner.
• Present data internally and externally.
• Train and mentor junior scientists in technical excellence.
• Demonstrate lateral leadership with a goal of moving towards leadership roles in the company.
Required Education & Experience:
• Ph.D., or other degree with equivalent experience, in Biochemistry, Microbiology, or related field.
• Strong experience in RNA and protein biochemistry.
• Understanding of how protein and RNA structure influence function and how to manipulate structures from the individual amino acid/nucleotide level to tertiary/quaternary scales.
• Track record of excellence in research leading to novel or improved RNA and protein characteristics.
• Demonstrated ability to contribute collaboratively in a cross functional environment and demonstrated leadership potential.
• Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
• Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays
• Casual work environment.
• Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
• A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Pairwise we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.