Job Title: Scientist, Molecular Biology
Reporting to: Lead, Molecular Biology
Location: Durham, North Carolina
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2023. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina, with a growing presence in the Central Coast area of California.
About This Role:
Do you love plants? Do you love molecular biology? How does the idea of getting to work with both sound? We are seeking a highly dedicated research scientist to join our Molecular Biology team to be part of cutting-edge technology and product development. The molecular biology scientist will join a dynamic team responsible for designing and building state-of-the-art genome editing tools, optimizing their performance, and applying them to a diverse set of row and consumer crop plants. The successful candidate will be expected to apply their expert knowledge of plant gene editing to the Pairwise trait and tool portfolios to improve function and understanding of existing tools, develop new genome editing capabilities, and ensure optimal deployment to accomplish trait goals. They will be directly responsible for the design and construction of gene editing vectors utilized in a wide variety of systems, serving as a subject matter expert across the R&D organization. They will also be responsible for the management and development of projects designed to ensure optimal deployment and development of gene editing tools in the Pairwise editing pipeline. They will work in a highly collaborative, cross-functional environment where their contributions will be critical to helping Pairwise meet technology and product development goals.
• Design and oversee construction of gene editing vectors to drive success of trait development goals in collaboration with other R&D functions.
• Lead projects and workstreams to drive increased efficiency of gene editing technology in plants.
• Analyze and communicate data and results to guide scientific strategy based on outcomes.
• Present data and results both internally and externally.
• Collaborate across R&D to drive discovery of new technologies and optimizations that increase the efficiency of precise gene editing.
• Advise on allele strategies to achieve trait goals in diverse crops.
• Collaborate closely with molecular, protein, and delivery technology scientists in an innovative culture and contribute towards optimization and invention of world-class capabilities in plant gene editing.
• Work closely with other staff scientists and research associates to establish and maintain reliable lab processes that fill critical R&D goals.
Required Education & Experience:
• PhD in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Genetics, Cell Biology or related field, or equivalent experience, with preference for a demonstrated track record of success in understanding and editing DNA in plants.
• Track record of excellence in formulating and executing plant research leading to novel insights.
• Demonstrated ability to lead projects and contribute collaboratively in a cross functional environment through influential leadership.
• Demonstrated ability to lead projects/teams.
• Command of molecular biology methodologies and enzymology used in nucleic acid manipulations, including CRISPR/Cas.
• Preference for experience with state-of-the-art cloning techniques such as golden gate cloning.
• Experience and knowledge in laboratory safe practices, including use of PPE, SDSs and proper handling and disposal of laboratory waste.
• Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
• Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
• Casual work environment.
• Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
• A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Pairwise we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.