Job Title: Research Associate, Delivery Technology (Contractor)
Reporting to: Lead, Delivery Technology
Location: Durham, North Carolina
Pairwise is a mission-driven food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Founded in 2017 by eminent scientists in the gene editing and biotechnology fields, Pairwise holds licenses from Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital to base editing and high-fidelity enzymes. We also are tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. Our team is primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in 2023. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
Pairwise is looking to hire a motivated, full-time contract research associate into its Delivery Technology group to help achieve core aspects of the company’s R&D platform and be part of developing our scientific strategy. Delivery Technology is a research team developing improved gene editing delivery methodologies that will be employed by the plant transformation pipeline to create Pairwise’s future products. Core responsibilities include development of new delivery and transformation technologies for gene editing tools and transgenes and operation and improvement of rapid assays in plant tissues and cell cultures. We are looking for candidates with bachelor’s or master’s level training, research experience in plant tissue culture, transformation, and/or gene editing, and the demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team. contribution will be critical to helping Pairwise meet a set of aggressive goals and build a culture where science is fun.
• Apply experience and innovation to drive continuous improvements in plant tissue and cell transformation protocols and support development of gene-edited products.
• Develop and execute research plans and key experiments in areas like:
o Plant transformation
o Tissue culture
o Rapid assays
o Molecular biology
o Gene editing
• Work closely with staff scientists to establish and maintain reliable lab processes that fill critical R&D goals for gene editing technologies.
• Collaborate across multifunctional teams to find new insights.
Required Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s or master’s degree in a relevant field, such as molecular biology, microbiology, biochemistry, biology, plant science, botany, agronomy, horticulture, or any biological discipline requiring lab work.
• Previous wet lab research experience and demonstrated skills in plant tissue culture, transformation, and/or gene editing.
• Knowledge and experience keeping accurate scientific records via LIMs and laboratory notebooks.
• Experience and knowledge in laboratory safe practices, including use of PPE, SDSs, and proper handling and disposal of laboratory waste.
• Ability to work collaboratively in a large lab setting.
• Ability to work and manage time independently on individual experiments.
• Casual work environment.
• Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
• A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.