Job Title: Sr. Scientist
Reporting to: Lead, Protein Science
Location: Durham, NC
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2023. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
• Develop innovations related to the mechanisms of gene editing and novel optimizations around CRISPR enzyme targeting and activity in plants.
• Contribute within a team of PhD scientists that will develop novel IP to improve the gene editing technologies and applications at Pairwise, critical to helping Pairwise meet technology and product development goals.
• Collaborate closely with molecular and cell biology scientists to drive an innovation culture and create a world-class research focus on gene editing in plants.
• Create, evaluate, and optimize new gene editing proteins to generate IP and increase the efficacy of the gene editing program.
• Generate foundational data on the efficacy of various gene editing proteins in vitro and in eukaryotic cells. Identify new strategies for the application of gene editing tools to improve agronomic and consumer characteristics of plants.
• Contribute to the effective operation of a protein production platform to support requirements of various technology and product development goals.
• Train and mentor research associates in technical excellence.
• Bring external innovation into Pairwise.
Required Education & Experience:
• Requires a PhD in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or related field, plus 5 years of experience in pioneering novel genome editing tools that transform the field.
• Requires experience gained through internships, work experience, or academic coursework. Additional requirements: 5 years of experience in the following gained through internships, work experience, or academic coursework.
• Experience developing base editing technology; experience in eukaryotic protein delivery technologies.
• Experience in mammalian tissue culture techniques, transfection techniques, and microscopy techniques.
• Experience in protein engineering and design; experience in protein purification and kinetics.
• Experience mentoring junior scientists.
• Experience in state-of-the-art cloning techniques.
• Experience in illumine high-throughput sequencing.
• Must also have authority to work permanently in the U.S.
Applicants who are interested in this position may apply at jobpostingtoday.com, reference number 75010.
• Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
• Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
• Casual work environment.
• Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
• A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.