Job Title: Manager, Materials Inventory
Reports to: Lead, Seed Supply Chain
Location: Arroyo Grande, California Area
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2023. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
This position will oversee commercial seed inventory and utilize keen communication skills to establish and build relationships with growers, contractors, and vendors. Strategic thinking and analysis are critical as responsibilities include contribution to forecasting and planning, monitoring and quality of seed, ownership of seed stock and related records, grower education, and resource allocation for field activities. The impact of this role on the organization is significant, managing seed for all growing areas across North America and influencing product costs, working capital, and collaborations.
This candidate will also be comfortable understanding internally generated data and technical capabilities and how to best leverage externally. They should be motivated to provide feedback on the internal discovery and development processes in working with many internal and external stakeholders. The candidate must be excited to contribute and lead in a fast-pacedp environment where ownership and action is encouraged.
This new position will report to the Seed Supply Chain Lead and will work closely with internal stakeholders (R&D, Business Development, Quality and Regulatory, Finance, Commercial) and external stakeholders (seed treaters, seed suppliers, shipping companies, State and County reps.) with responsibilities for developing, implementing, managing, and contributing to planning for commercial seed inventories and associated materials.
• Own the seed inventory and inventory processes including awareness of current inventory.
• Establish shipping and receiving procedures.
• Track quality clearance of seed inclusive of internally produced and procured materials.
• Store and maintain seed stock and related data records.
• Regularly review seed requirements to ensure production plans cover demand.
• Contribute to budgeting and planning including for internal and external seed production.
• Assess and contribute to short- and long-term demand plans and production schedules.
• Manage production and vendor relationships with seed producers.
• Back up of commercial personnel in other activities, as needed.
• Provide on-site oversite of facility ensuring appropriate tools and services that support the functionality, safety, and sustainability of buildings, grounds, infrastructure, and inventory.
• Cultivate productive university extension and trade association contacts.
Required Education & Experience:
• Experience working with seed suppliers, produce growers and other direct partners.
• Demonstrated excellence in communication and stakeholder management.
• A track record of leading business-driving programs with external collaborators.
• 5+ years in the seed industry working in a combination of supply chain, quality or business roles.
• Bachelor’s degree or 10+ years of experience in prior agricultural material management roles.
• Versatile team player that is comfortable under pressure and able to solve problems.
• Solid analytical skills and ability to suggest recommendations through data-driven processes.
• Effective in data gathering, able to work in an unstructured environment, persuasive communication skills and able to build partnerships internally and externally.
• Strong communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
•Ability to independently multitask and manage time effectively.
• Comfort with ambiguity and a dynamic business landscape.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to set clear priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• High emotional intelligence and conflict resolution; able to effectively maintain relationships via flexibility, collaboration and negotiation.
• Ability to build strong working relationships with clients and colleagues across departments, geographic locations, and time zones.
• Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
• Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
• Casual work environment.
• Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
• A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.