Job Title: Senior Research Associate, Product Discovery Lead Advancement (Contractor)
Reporting to: Lead, Product Discovery
Location: Durham, North Carolina
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2023. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
Innovative foods at Pairwise start with the Product Discovery team where gene leads are identified and enter the editing pipeline. Genes and edits are our raw material, and your skills will push the right leads forward. In this contract role, you will work closely with Product Discovery staff, your role will be to support the advancement of gene leads through the pipeline from idea to product. You will help provide bioinformatics support for locus nominations and analyze sequence data to facilitate advancement of edits through the pipeline and into trait testing. You will think quickly and creatively, pushing innovative concepts forward, and improving our processes along the way. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in genes, gene function, molecular biology, and genetics, and will be willing to expand their skills to include new data analysis methods and tools. Experience with row crop systems, genetics, agronomics, trait testing, genomics, and product development preferred. Do you love genes and data? Have a passion for detail? Come engineer the food of the future amidst a culture where science is fun.
• Gather supporting data, establish database entries, and track Locus nominations through the pipeline.
• Analyze genotype data and process advancement of edited genotypes through the pipeline.
• Curate database entries and facilitate handoff documentation for locus and edit leads.
• Support intellectual property filings with genotype data analysis, locus supporting data, and advancement criteria.
• Maintain detailed and comprehensive Electronic Lab Notebook entries.
• Collaborate with other team members to manage work-load and support team efforts.
• Maintain a basic knowledge of product deliverables, advancement criteria, and product timelines.
Required Education & Experience:
• Bachelor or Master’s degree in a relevant field, including but not limited to genetics, plant biology, molecular biology, bioinformatics, genomics, data science or microbiology.
• Working knowledge of genetics, gene structure, gene function, and protein biology.
• Working knowledge and experience with DNA sequencing and genotyping.
• Excellent data management skills and experience.
• Ability to manage time independently and collaborate within a high performing team.
• The following experience is a plus, but not required:
o Experience with Next Gen Sequencing Data
o Experience with plants and plant genetics.
o Experience with structured databases and Electronic Lab Notebooks.
o Experience with data science or bioinformatics.
• Casual work environment.
• Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
• A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.