Job Title: Scientist, Molecular Screening (Contractor)
Reporting to: Lead, Molecular Screening
Location: Durham, North Carolina
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2023. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
Pairwise is seeking a highly-dedicated research scientist to join the Molecular Screening team and be part of cutting-edge technology and product development. The molecular screening scientist will join a dynamic team and be essential to advancing our screening pipeline to identify various types of genetic edits. The successful candidate will be expected to apply their expert knowledge of next-generation sequencing technologies to onboard novel screening techniques into our high-throughput screening platform. The molecular screening scientist will be responsible for developing and managing projects that deliver enhanced high-volume screening capabilities. They will work in a fast-paced research environment where they will be expected to be a key member of the molecular screening pipeline, assisting the team members in the designing NGS and qPCR assays and the day-to-day running of the screening platform. They will work in a highly collaborative, cross-functional environment towards team and company goals where their contributions will be critical to helping Pairwise meet technology and product development goals, and building a culture where science is fun.
• Develop and lead projects that drive discovery and on-boarding of new sequencing technologies that are able to be adopted into a high-throughput platform to expand the capabilities of the team.
• Play an essential role in designing next-generation sequencing and qPCR assays for edit detection.
• In coordination with other members of the team, prepare next-generation sequencing libraries to conduct high-throughput screening of plant samples.
• Train and mentor research associates, senior research associates, and research scientists in technical excellence.
Required Education & Experience:
• PhD, or Masters with equivalent experience, in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Genetics, Cell Biology or related field or equivalent experience.
• Track record of excellence in formulating and executing research leading to novel insights using next-generation sequencing and qPCR technologies.
• Demonstrated ability to adopt novel techniques to high-throughput platforms
• An understanding of and familiarity with gene editing.
• Demonstrated ability to lead projects and contribute collaboratively in a cross functional environment.
• Knowledge and experience keeping accurate scientific records and notebooks such as working in Benchling or similar LIMs environment.
• Experience and knowledge in laboratory safe practices, including use of PPE, SDSs and proper handling and disposal of laboratory waste.
• Casual work environment.
• Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
• A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.