Job Title: Lab Automation Engineer
Reporting to: Manager, Software Engineering
Location: Durham, North Carolina
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2023. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
The Software Engineering team at Pairwise maintains and develops the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) for the R&D organization to enable real-time data collection and traceability. The Lab Automation Engineer acts as an arm of the LIMS system thru 1) ensuring laboratory hardware is coded to efficiently perform processes, 2) linking the hardware to the LIMS system, and 3) defining and optimizing the end-to-end lab processes to enable efficiency. Initial project includes partnering with our screening team to enable a 10x capacity expansion.
• Maintain, optimize, troubleshoot, and repair laboratory automation hardware, specifically liquid handlers.
• Develop and maintain the LIMS system – hardware data system to enable traceability, ease of processing, and error mitigation.
• Strategize and lead projects to enable laboratory automation expansion, in line with business needs, and provide input on efficient lab processing.
• Write and maintain hardware and LIMS integration SOPs, and train team members on proper procedures.
Required Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Scientific Discipline or related field.
• At least 2 years experience working with liquid handler systems or automated platforms.
• Experience validating protocols from manual to automation.
• Knowledge of, and preferably experience in, linkage of laboratory hardware to LIMS systems.
• Drive to understand the science behind the method, and optimize automation protocols in line with the science.
• Ability to work independently, lead projects, and display excellent communication skills.
• Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
• Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
• Casual work environment.
• Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
• A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.