Job Title: Senior Research Associate
Reporting to: Lead, Molecular Screening
Location: Durham, North Carolina
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2023. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
Pairwise is seeking to hire a motivated candidate into its Tool and Trait Development group to help achieve core aspects of the company’s R&D platform and be part of developing our scientific strategy. We are looking for candidates with at least Bachelor’s degree level training with the ability to work independently and as part of the team. Core responsibilities include applying state-of-the-art molecular biology techniques in support of a quantitative high throughput plant next generation sequencing and qPCR pipeline. Your contribution will be critical to developing and expanding our molecular screening pipeline. You will employ various next generation sequencing workflows from library construction to sequencing for platforms including Illumina Miseq, Oxford Nanopore and PacBio Sequel in order to meet aggressive targets amidst a culture where science is fun.
• Develop, optimize and maintain a robust and reliable molecular screening pipeline that enables critical R&D goals to be met for genome editing technologies.
• Bring new techniques and methodologies into the Pairwise research sphere.
• Collaborate across multifunctional teams to enable facile communication accelerating goal achievement.
• Expand our automated NGS pipeline platform.
Required Education & Experience:
• Bachelor or Master’s degree in a relevant field, such as molecular biology, microbiology, biochemistry, biology or any biological discipline requiring lab work.
• Significant previous lab work and industry experience and demonstrated skills in next generation sequencing.
• Knowledge and experience keeping accurate scientific records via LIMs and laboratory notebooks.
• Previous experience operating/programing liquid handlers or automated laboratory equipment for setting up high throughput molecular assays is of high interest.
• Proven abilities in developing and optimizing assays for reliable routine use within a pipeline.
• Experience monitoring/reporting key performance indicators within a workflow.
• Experience and knowledge in laboratory safe practices, including use of PPE, SDSs and proper handling and disposal of laboratory waste.
• Ability to work collaboratively in a large lab setting.
• Ability to work and manage time independently.
• Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
• Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
• Casual work environment.
• Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
• A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.