Job Title: Sr. Manager, Pipeline Management and Lab Operations
Reporting to: Head, R&D Operations
Location: Durham, North Carolina
Pairwise is a mission-driven food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Founded in 2017 by eminent scientists in the gene editing and biotechnology fields, Pairwise holds licenses from Harvard and Massachusetts General Hospital to base editing and high-fidelity enzymes. We also are tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. Our team is primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in early 2023. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
Pairwise is seeking a Senior Manager for Pipeline Management and Lab Operations to drive quality, efficiency, and continuous improvement in the R&D gene editing pipeline and to ensure efficient and smooth operation of the R&D laboratories. This is an essential role that drives coordination, collaboration, and continuous improvement to deliver our product portfolio. The ideal candidate is an individual who enjoys functioning, collaborating, and leading across broader functions (R&D, commercial, operations, regulatory, quality, finance).
· Work closely with R&D functional leads and stakeholders to efficiently manage and improve the Pairwise gene editing pipeline (cross-functional KPIs, attrition, overall pipeline health).
·Manage current projects and develop pipeline management goals in conjunction with project stakeholders and R&D leadership. Understand functional capacities and the translation to improve pipeline efficiency.
· Manage the R&D operational and capital budget. Provide regular monthly updates on status.
· Work with direct reports to ensure efficient and smooth operation of Pairwise laboratories to enable a productive R&D organization that meets its scientific and business goals. Maintain a lab culture that encourages cross-functional collaboration to increase productivity within the lab; manage equipment, supplies, reagent consumption, stocking and purchasing agreements across research functions.
· Work closely with the Facilities and Operations Manager to manage equipment lifecycles, maintenance, service contracts, and asset tracking.
· Drive safety culture for the R&D laboratories.
· Expand QMS culture within R&D through strong collaboration with the Pairwise Quality team.
Required Education & Experience:
· MS and 5+ years experience managing relevant scientific or product development pipelines, or equivalent experience.
· Strong track record of delivering operational outcomes tied to business objectives.
· Demonstrated ability in laboratory operations and managing to a budget.
· Experience with LIMS and translation of pipeline and technical needs to data systems.
· Project management skills and experience.
· Direct and/or matrix leadership experience.
· Excellent verbal, written and presentation communication skills.
· Experience with Safety, QMS, LIMS, and cross-functional collaboration.
· Biotechnology/Pipeline management and Lean Six Sigma experience is highly desirable.
• Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
• Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays
• Casual work environment.
• Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
• A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.