Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in 2023. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About the Role:
Pairwise is looking to hire motivated research associates into its R & D organization to help achieve a broad set of scientific goals and be part of our developing our scientific strategy. Positions are available in our three different research teams- Genome Editing Tools, Product Discovery and Plant Production. In all cases, we are looking for associates with Bachelor or Master’s level training and the ability to work independently and as part of the team. Your contribution will be critical to helping Pairwise meet a set of aggressive targets and building a culture where science can be fun.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Develop and execute research plans and key experiments in areas like:
- Gene Editing
- Protein Science
- Molecular Biology
- Plant Transformation
- Trait Testing
- Plant Growth and Maintenance
Employees in this role will:
- Work closely with staff scientists to develop experimental strategy for targeted areas and bring those plans to life.
- Develop your skill sets and bring new techniques and methodologies into the Pairwise research sphere.
- Collaborate across multifunctional teams to find new insights.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor or master’s degree in a relevant field, such as molecular biology, microbiology, biochemistry, biology, plant science, botany, agronomy, horticulture, evolution, ecology or any biological discipline requiring plant husbandry skills or lab work.
- Previous lab work experience required either in a professional/industry setting or demonstrated lab skills through research in faculty labs.
- Knowledge and experience keeping accurate scientific records via LIMs and laboratory notebooks Experience and knowledge in laboratory safety or greenhouse safety practices, including use of PPE, SDSs and proper handling and disposal of laboratory waste.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a large lab setting.
- Ability to work independently on individual experiments.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position working approximately 40 hours per week.
This position operates majority of the time onsite in a professional office environment and in a laboratory setting. This position routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers and phones. This position will also routinely utilize standard lab equipment such as pipettes, centrifuges, and lab automation with moving parts. While working in the lab, the employee may be exposed to low-to-moderate risk agents that may pose a danger if accidentally inhaled, swallowed, or exposed to the skin. Safety measures include the use of appropriate lab equipment and PPE including biosafety hoods, lab coats, gloves and safety eyewear. Employee will also be trained in proper handling of regulated plant materials.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms. The employee may often use techniques that require fine motor skills and repetitive motions. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. The employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status
Please note this position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.