Job Title: Software Engineer
Reporting to: Manager, Software Engineering
Location: Durham, North Carolina or Remote
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2023. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
The Software Engineering team at Pairwise partners with product development teams to drive progress through process engineering, data strategy and infrastructure, cloud computing, and reporting solutions. As a Software Engineer, you will be responsible for two areas – 1) establishing relationships with our functional and project teams to understand their data flow and thus design efficient data systems that complement their flow, and 2) develop applications or reports that enable access and interpretation of that data to diverse audiences. Initial projects will work in conjunction with our analytics and product development teams to enable efficient operation of our R&D pipeline.
• Interact and develop relationships with our project and pipeline teams to provide insights where new tools would increase efficiency and gain understanding of processes.
• Design solutions and coordinate with other software developers to implement solutions.
• Communicate progress, delays, and barriers to project delivery in a timely manner to internal team and key stakeholders.
• Support deployed solutions through maintenance of bug fixes and feature requests in line with business needs.
Required Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Data Analysis, Statistics, Scientific Discipline or related field.
• At least 2 years relevant experience delivering software projects, database integration, or working on an engineering team.
• At least 1 year experience working directly with customers or end-users.
• Strong Python experience, specifically in an object-oriented structure.
• Experience working in Linux and cloud computing environments required.
• Experience design cloud service architecture preferred.
• Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
• Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
• Casual work environment.
• Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
• A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.