Job Title: Data Engineer
Reporting to: Manager, Software Engineering
Location: Golden Belt, Durham, NC or Remote
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2023. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
The Software Engineering team at Pairwise partners with functional teams to drive progress through process engineering, data strategy and infrastructure, cloud computing, and reporting solutions. As a Data Engineer, you will be responsible for two areas – 1) establishing relationships with our functions to understand their data flow, design efficient data systems that complements the flow, and 2) develop applications or reports that enable access and interpretation of that data to diverse audiences. Initial projects will work in conjunction with teams driving towards our first product launch, and integrate data that will inform final product decisions.
• Engineer pipeline processes into our data systems, and specifically our LIMS system, by utilizing standard and custom features specific to the data flow.
• Apply pertinent engineering principles to database design, including making informed decisions on stored versus computed data and architectural design.
• Communicate progress, delays, and barriers to project delivery in a timely manner to internal team and key stakeholders.
• Support deployed solutions, both LIMS and custom solutions, through maintenance of bug fixes and feature requests in line with business needs.
Required Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Data Analysis, Statistics, Scientific Discipline or related field.
• At least 2 years relevant experience delivering software projects, database integration, or working on an engineering team.
• Strong understanding of relational databases, designing and developing databases for optimal storage and retrieval.
• Strong Python experience, specifically in an object-oriented structure.
• Experience working in Linux and cloud computing environments required.
• Experience working in a LIMS (Laboratory Information Management System) strongly preferred.
• Experience designing cloud service architecture preferred.
• Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
• Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
• Casual work environment.
• Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
• A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.