Title: Lead, Leafy Green Supply Chain
Reports to: Head, Commercial – Leafy Greens
Location: California, USA
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2023. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
This new position will report to the Commercial Head and will work closely with internal stakeholders (R&D, Business Development, Quality, Finance) and external stakeholders (commercial partners, suppliers, leafy green processors, etc.) to lead the identification, negotiation and execution of operating partnerships to support the commercialization of our leafy green business. The role will be part of Pairwise’s dynamic future and helps drive the company’s go-to-market strategy and execution. The Lead will create long-term business opportunities and strategies and help execute Pairwise’s commercial deployment plans inclusive of manufacturing, growing, procurement and value-capture tactics to achieve revenue/ profit goals. As we expand our footprint across the food, agriculture, and biotechnology landscape, we are seeking an individual to leverage food, agricultural and commercial understanding to deliver operational expertise, mitigate risks and enhance capabilities resulting in increased company value. This role requires a combination of tactical and strategic skills to develop relationships and to set an operational vision and strategy to drive revenue growth and margin within the category. This candidate will also be comfortable understanding existing internal capabilities and how to best leverage externally. They should be motivated to provide feedback on the product development and commercialization processes, working with many internal stakeholders and be excited to do this in a fast-pacedp environment where ownership and action is encouraged.
• Support the identification, qualification and contracting of manufacturing and supply partners.
• Manage best-in-class strategic supply chain partners - leafy green processors, packaging suppliers, ingredient providers and other 3rd parties to ensure quality product delivery to market.
• Develop process to manage production and/ or procurement of materials and inventories inclusive of IT systems and internal/ external flows.
• Lead and maintain a professional relationship with external business partners and internal technical organizations including growers, packer-shippers, packaging and ingredient suppliers, retailers, and/or food service operators.
• Establish and maintain contract manufacturing relationships. Act as the key point of contact for the supplier on contract adherence, production, qualifications, supply issues and KPIs.
• Maintain comprehensive knowledge of relevant regulatory rules and standards.
• Partner with internal and external stakeholders to ensure that contract manufacturers and/or partners comply with contract provisions.
• Work with Sales teams and meet with processors and co-packers to discuss ways to manage capacity consistent with our sales forecasts.
• Build operational and execution-oriented plans to deliver on key priorities, including revenue goals, growing/ processing strategies, margin attainment and commercial reporting.
Required Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in science discipline; MBA preferred.
• 10+ years in produce and/or food industry working in a combination of supply chain, procurement, operations or business roles.
• Experience working with leafy green processing plants, grower-shippers, suppliers and other direct partners.
• Demonstrated excellence in communication and stakeholder management.
• Track record of producing business-driving growth programs from concept to execution.
• Versatile team player that is comfortable under pressure and able to solve problems.
• Solid analytical skills and ability to translate data into fact-based decision making to support strategic planning and program implementation.
• Effective in data gathering, able to work in an unstructured environment, persuasive communication skills and able to build partnerships internally and externally
• Public speaking skills and ability to articulate complex concepts to cross-function audience.
• Demonstrated ability to engage and influence C-level executives.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to set clear priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• High emotional intelligence and conflict resolution; able to effectively maintain relationships via flexibility, collaboration and negotiation.
• Ability to build strong working relationships with clients and colleagues across departments, geographic locations, and time zones.
• Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
• Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
• Casual work environment.
• Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
• A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.