Job Title: Intern, Molecular Biology
Reporting to: Scientist, Molecular Biology
Location: Durham, North Carolina, USA
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2023. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
We are seeking passionate, engaging, ready-to-learn interns to join us for Summer 2022. Pairwise offers the opportunity of getting to work with industry leading scientists and professionals in a cutting edge, industry changing, food+tech company. Our interns will be integrated with our teams here at Pairwise to allow for hands on learning in a fast-paced start-up environment. Interns will also have season long cap-stone projects that will add real value and help the team resolve real-world challenges they are currently facing. We like to have fun at Pairwise, so the summer won’t be all work and no play! Pairwise interns will not only have “Intern Only” meeting sessions to talk about their experience and share thoughts and feedback with each other, but will also have events to help with career and educational planning, and team building trips to share in the fun of summer in North Carolina. We are looking for an intern with a major in biology, molecular biology, plant science, or a related field to join the Molecular Biology Team this summer. As a member of the Molecular Biology Team, you will learn firsthand what it takes to develop state-of-the-art gene editing tools and deploy them to a plant production pipeline. You will work closely with Scientists and Research Associates on the team to optimize and develop gene editing vectors to enable a cutting-edge plant gene editing pipeline and collaborate with members across the organization to test these improvements in plants.
• Design vector components using molecular biology software.
• Molecular biology techniques (restriction digest, PCR, gel electrophoresis, bacterial culture maintenance, bacterial transformations, etc.).
• Record keeping and result tracking through LIMS.
• Primary literature review.
• Plant transformation in collaboration with Transformation Team.
• Data analysis.
• Presentation of results to the team.
Required Education & Experience:
• A student currently enrolled in a Bachelors, Masters or PhD program in one of the following disciplines: Biology, Molecular Biology, Plant Science, Botany, or related field
o Courses completed covering biology and genetics.
o Additional course work in plant biology and molecular biology preferred.
o Experience with wet lab techniques strongly preferred.
• Paid internship experience in a field relevant to your studies!
• Real-world, industry work experience.
• Casual work environment.
• Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
• A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.