Job Title: Intern, Genomic Data Science
Reporting to: Lead, Data Science & Genomics
Location: Durham, North Carolina, USA
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
We are seeking passionate, engaging, ready-to-learn interns to join us for Summer 2022. We are looking for interns with majors in: Molecular Biology, Computational Biology, Genomics, Statistics, Plant Science. Pairwise offers the opportunity of getting to work with industry leading scientists and professionals in a cutting edge, industry changing, food+tech company. Our interns will be integrated with our teams here at Pairwise to allow for hands on learning in a fast-paced start-up environment. Interns will also have season long cap-stone projects that will add real value and help the team resolve real-world challenges they are currently facing. We like to have fun at Pairwise, so the summer won’t be all work and no play! Pairwise interns will not only have “Intern Only” meeting sessions to talk about their experience and share thoughts and feedback with each other, but will also have events to help with career and educational planning, and team building trips to share in the fun of summer in North Carolina.
• Assist scientific research in the following areas:
o Execution and improvement of existing next-generation sequencing (NGS) analysis pipelines
o Analysis of gene editing events
• Work closely with the data science team to analyze DNA and RNA sequence data to provide actionable insights for other functional teams.
• Learn and follow standard NGS analysis workflows to provide consistent and reproducible results.
• Network with and be mentored by experienced professionals in plant science.
Required Education & Experience:
• A student currently enrolled in a Bachelors, Masters or PhD program in one of the following disciplines:
o Biology, Molecular Biology, Genomics, Statistics, Plant Science, Botany, Computational Biology.
• Paid internship experience in a field relevant to your studies!
• Real-world, industry work experience.
• Casual work environment.
• Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
• A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.