Job Title: Lab Technician
Reporting to: Lead, Lab Operations
Location: Durham, North Carolina, USA
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2023. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
We are seeking a personable, detail-oriented lab technician to assist in keeping our labs running smoothly and continually improve lab management practices. The role will have a broad set of responsibilities that include managing reagent/consumable stocking, ensuring safe laboratory practices, equipment management including asset tracking, maintaining chemical inventories, and working with teams to reduce costs and improve efficiencies. This position will be critical to developing the culture of our R&D organization as the company grows.
• Contribute to building a lab culture that encourages cross functional collaboration, teamwork and participation from all lab members to increase productivity within the lab.
• Laboratory operations and some facility operations.
• Manage reagent consumption, stocking and ordering across all research functions.
• Manage equipment lifecycles, maintenance, service contracts and asset tracking.
• Assist with waste management including solid and chemical waste disposal.
• Assist with shipping and receiving to ensure shipments are received, processed and recipients notified when shipments arrive.
• Assist in escorting vendors.
• Ensure efficient and smooth operation of Pairwise laboratory operations to enable a productive R&D organization that meets its scientific and business goals.
Required Education & Experience:
• Experience and knowledge in laboratory safe practices, including use of PPE, SDSs and proper handling and disposal of laboratory waste.
• High School Diploma and 10+ year working in a laboratory setting OR Bachelors Degree and at least 1-year experience working in a laboratory setting.
• Strong communication and writing skills.
• Training in a wide variety of lab techniques including media preparation.
• Highly motivated, enthusiastic, hands on, organized with strong ability to manage competing priorities in a dynamic environment.
• Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
• Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
• Casual work environment.
• Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
• A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.