Job Title: Field Evaluation Specialist
Reporting to: Lead, Technical Development
Location: Watsonville or Salinas, California
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
Pairwise is looking to hire an experienced Field Evaluation Specialist capable of organizing and executing the day-to-day activities required to successfully deliver on a field evaluation and optimization program. The role will be responsible for assisting in the organization and execution of field evaluation and optimization programs in support of product commercialization. The role will play a key part in the establishment, monitoring, adjustment, and successful delivery of field trials, as well as in the handoff of products from R&D to Commercial. The role requires a strong understanding of field evaluation and optimization activities, agronomy, and cropping systems. Example job requirements include crop establishment, growth, harvest, and processing; agronomic troubleshooting; and the day-to-day organizing and coordinating of the efforts of contract staff and contracting companies. Preference will be given to candidates with a demonstrated track record of success in these areas. Your contribution will be critical to helping Pairwise meet its aggressive targets, while building a culture where science can be fun.
• Lead, coordinate, and organize the day-to-day execution of field evaluation and optimization programs.
• Ensure alignment of contract staff and contracting companies with the execution needs of the program, achieved through clear communication and coordination.
• Manage the day-to-day evaluation of material and coordination of activities prior to handoff to Commercial.
• Facilitate a smooth handoff between R&D and Commercial.
• Execute technical programs to help drive answers to key scientific questions.
• Seasonal travel will be required for this role, up to 50%.
Required Education & Experience:
• 5+ years of experience in R&D field evaluation and optimization of Ag products.
• Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent experience, in biology, plant science, botany, agronomy, horticulture, or other relevant biological discipline.
• Demonstrated experience of leading through influence and managing contract organizations.
• Demonstrated focus on commercial outcomes.
• Experience in produce is preferred.
• Demonstrated success working in a fast paced, matrixed environment.
• Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
• Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
• Casual work environment.
• Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
• A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.