Job Title: Research Associate
Reporting to: Lead, Transformation
Location: Durham, North Carolina, USA
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
Pairwise is seeking a highly motivated, organized, process-oriented and outcome driven Research Associate to join the Transformation team. This is a lab-based position and requires attention to detail, focused approach, working independently as well as part of team, ability to proactively plan, troubleshoot and deliver high quality output in timely manner. The individual will contribute to the edited row crop and caneberry plant production pipelines which involves planning, execution and tracking of the plant production runs using standard protocols, improve existing systems and develop new transformation methods. It provides opportunity to gain skills in plant tissue culture and transformation of several commercial crops in addition to building a culture where science can be fun.
- Prepare stock solutions and media for tissues culture and plant transformation experiments.
- Setup Agrobacterium mediated transformation experiments to meet the targets, take observations, collect data, maintain records, tracking systems and share the results with key stakeholders.
- Work closely with transformation and cross functional teams to develop experimental strategy related to plant tissue culture and transformation using Agrobacterium in row crops and caneberries and execute them.
- Assist in establishing plant production pipeline, related metrics and KPI’s to monitor the pipeline performance.
Required Education & Experience:
- 2 years’ experience in a tissue culture lab or Bachelor’s degree in plant biology, plant science, plant biotechnology or related subject.
- Experience with aseptic conditions, handling plant tissues and plant transformation.
- Proven ability to handle multiple assignments and easy transitioning to new assignments in rapidly changing work environment.
- Capable of proactively identifying problem research areas, troubleshooting and finding solutions.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience keeping accurate scientific records via LIMs and laboratory notebooks.
- Experience and knowledge in laboratory safety practices, including use of PPE, SDSs and proper handling and disposal of laboratory waste.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a large lab setting. Ability to work independently on individual experiments.
- Excellent organization, oral and written communication.
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
- Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
- Casual work environment.
- Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
- A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.