About This Role:
Pairwise is looking to hire a motivated plant virology scientist into its Delivery Technology team to help achieve core aspects of the company’s R&D platform and be part of developing our scientific strategy. Core responsibilities include development of new delivery and transformation technologies for gene editing tools and transgenes. We are looking for candidates with Ph.D.-level training and postdoctoral experience and the ability to work independently and as part of the team. We are particularly interested in applicants with research experience in viral engineering and the use of plant viruses to enable gene editing of plants. Experience with tissue culture and plant transformation is also desired. Your contribution will be critical to helping Pairwise meet a set of aggressive targets for delivering new fruit and vegetable products while also building a culture where science is fun.
· Apply experience and innovation to drive continuous improvements in the delivery of gene editing tools and transgenes to plants and support development of gene edited products.
· Develop and execute research plans and key experiments in areas like:
o Gene editing
o Plant transformation
o Tissue culture
o Molecular biology
o Rapid assays
· Work closely with other staff scientists and research associates to establish and maintain reliable lab processes that fill critical R&D goals for gene editing technologies.
· Develop your skill sets and bring new techniques and methodologies into the Pairwise research sphere.
· Collaborate across multifunctional teams to find new insights.
Required Education & Experience:
· Ph.D. in a relevant field, such as plant pathology, virology, microbiology, molecular biology, genetics, biochemistry, plant science, botany, agronomy, horticulture, or any biological discipline requiring lab work. PhD strongly preferred, however, master’s plus work experience with proven ability to design and execute scientifically rigorous experiments and to effectively communicate scientific concepts and data to technical and non-technical audiences is also acceptable.
· Research experience in plant virology, including making infectious viral clones and viral engineering.
· Research experience in gene editing, transformation, and/or plant tissue culture.
· Knowledge and experience keeping accurate scientific records via LIMs and laboratory notebooks.
· Experience and knowledge in laboratory safe practices, including use of PPE, SDSs and proper handling and disposal of laboratory waste.
· Ability to work collaboratively in a large lab setting.
· Ability to work and manage time independently on individual experiments.
Offerings: · Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more! · Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays. · Casual work environment. · Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies. · A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.