Job Title: Software Engineer (CONTRACTOR)
Reporting to: Software Engineering Manager
Location: Durham, NC, USA
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
The Software Engineering team at Pairwise partners with functional teams across Pairwise to drive progress through process engineering, data strategy and infrastructure, cloud computing, and reporting solutions. As a Software Engineer, you will be responsible for partnering and understanding the needs of our scientific R&D functional teams in these areas to develop and implement the pertinent solutions. Projects range from engineering our scientist-LIMS interactions for a new laboratory technique to working with our Analytics team on how to store and access millions of pieces of testing data in an efficient manner for machine learning algorithm development and execution.
· Engineer scientific processes into our data systems, and specifically our LIMS system, by partnering with teams to direct and custom solutions specific to their needs.
· Apply pertinent engineering principles to database design, including making informed decisions on stored versus computed data and architectural design.
· Develop applications with intent to mitigate user-error and enhance user experience with the goal of making application usage easy and ensuring accurate data entry.
· Communicate progress, delays, and barriers to project delivery in a timely manner to both Software Engineering management and to key stakeholders.
· Support deployed solutions through maintenance by updating for bug fixes and feature requests in-line with business needs.
Required Education & Experience:
· Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Biology, Chemistry, Data Analysis, Statistics, or related field.
· At least 2 years relevant experience delivering software projects, database integration, or working on a software engineering team.
· Strong Python experience, working in object-orient structure, and DASH experience preferred.
· Understanding of relational databases and experience developing SQL (PostgreSQL etc).
· Prior experience with LIMS system preferred.
· Understanding and experience in UNIX and AWS compute environments preferred.
· Strong scientific background and understanding required, with biological background preferred.
· Experience reporting and interacting with scientists and scientific processes.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.