Job Title: Data Associate (CONTRACTOR)
Reporting to: Software Engineering Manager
Location: Durham, NC, USA
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
As a Data Associate, you will be responsible for becoming a key liaison between our R&D functions and the data they use to drive progress at Pairwise. Our functional teams require accurate and timely reports or dashboards to facilitate data driven decisions to enhance our product development pipeline.
The Data Associate role will be expected to become a subject matter expert in our backend database, identify and develop quality control processes for maintaining database accuracy, review detailed reports for accuracy in formatting and content, and partner with pipeline leaders and functional teams to ensure they have the data and reporting necessary to drive progress at Pairwise.
- Execute weekly data report generation tasks, including uploading structured data to the database and reporting out to functional teams.
- Update and eventually develop queries to answer KPI and metrics questions for the laboratory and pipeline.
- Learn and understand R&D database, both initially and as it evolves with the business.
- Ensure data provided is accurate and complete through both automated, scripted quality checks and manual review.
- Communicate to respective audiences in a clear and timely manner.
- Scientific background preferred, but not required.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelors in Computer Science, Data Analysis, Statistics, or related field
- Understanding of relational databases and experience reading and/or writing SQL queries
- Basic to Intermediate Python knowledge, with the ability to read and update code
- High attention to detail and accuracy, with the understanding that inaccurate data has significant business consequences
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.