Job Title: Lead, Target Discovery & Bioinformatics
Reporting to: Data Science & Genomics
Location: Durham, NC (Research Triangle Park)
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
The Target Discovery and Bioinformatics Lead will be responsible for deploying genomics throughout our R&D organization to enable both product discovery and product development. This senior leader will manage a team of molecular and computational biologists focused on leveraging molecular biology techniques, next-generation sequencing and novel algorithms to build out our understanding of trait biology, trait diversity and trait control at the genetic level. Additionally, this role will help develop the procedures and protocols for parts of the product development process where genomic data can accelerate or create clarity. This role will report into the Data Science & Genomics group helping build the scientific strategy and contribute also to the culture of our R&D organization as the company grows. The successful candidate will have a strong understanding of how business targets influence research and development and will be a strong partner to the commercial team.
Summary of Job Responsibilities
- Develop and lead the target discovery strategy, in alignment with the company’s trait strategy, to enable product discovery.
- Develop and lead a broader genomics strategy for all of R&D.
- Have a coach-player mindset willing to dive in to help in the lab or contributing to code development.
- Establish goals, milestones, and budgets required to advance genomics projects.
- Drive the development of algorithms for gene discovery, allele design, expression element discovery, molecular screening, and cultivar quality.
- Establish and manage collaborations with universities and other scientific organizations to bring diverse thought into Pairwise.
- Participate as a member of Pairwise’s scientific leadership team.
- Partner closely with R&D and the commercial team to define and evaluate product concepts.
- Provide strong cross-functional leadership across the organization.
- PhD or equivalent experience in Genomics, Computational Biology, Botany, Plant Science, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Evolution or related field focused on genomics-based research with preference to a demonstrated track record using genomics to enable product discovery or using genomics to enable product development.
- Extensive experience using genomics and computational biology to answer applied questions .
- Deep familiarity with different genomics technologies and associated bioinformatics methods.
- Strong understanding transcription factors, protein domains and interactions.
- 5+ years experience managing scientific teams.
- Strong track record of formulating research programs.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver scientific results in a cross functional environment.
- Ability to manage complex product development pipeline activities.
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
- Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
- Casual work environment.
- Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
- A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.