Job Title: Research Associate, Genomics
Reporting to: Target Discovery & Bioinformatics Lead
Location: Durham, NC (Research Triangle Park)
Pairwise is a mission-driven, food+tech company dedicated to building a healthier world through better fruits and vegetables. Pairwise was founded in 2017 by scientists at Harvard University, MIT, and Broad Institute who are eminent in the field of gene editing, as well as biotechnology industry pioneers. Our team is tuned in to consumer food trends, and we believe that consumers deserve more variety and innovation in their fresh food choices. We are primed to deliver that innovation through one of the best gene-editing platforms in food and agriculture. Pairwise has an exclusive 5-year research collaboration with Bayer to develop products in corn, soybean, wheat, canola, and cotton. Plus, Pairwise is developing new types of leafy greens, berries, and stone fruit, with the first product expected in late 2022. Pairwise is based in the start-up friendly Research Triangle Park area of North Carolina.
About This Role:
Pairwise is seeking to hire a motivated candidate into its Data Science & Genomics group to help achieve core aspects of the company’s R&D platform and be part of developing our scientific strategy. We are looking for candidates with at least Bachelor’s degree level training with the ability to work independently and as part of the team. Core responsibilities include applying state-of-the-art molecular biology techniques to enable gene discovery. Your contribution will be critical to developing and expanding the role of genomics to enable our product discovery and development goals. You will employ various next generation sequencing workflows from library construction to sequencing for platforms including Illumina Miseq, Oxford Nanopore and PacBio Sequel in a fast-paced environment where cutting-edge technology and employee passion drive rapid achievement of product development goals.
- Coordinate and carry out tissue collection and preparation, DNA & RNA extraction, next generation sequencing (NGS) library preparation and sequencing of libraries on in-house or external sequencing equipment, flow cytometry.
- Build foundational genomics datasets (genetic and epigenetic) to acquire assemblies/annotations that will enable gene discovery and allele design.
- Work closely with crop scientists, computational biologists and genomics scientists to create thoughtful experimental designs that validate new sequencing technologies and functional genomics techniques.
- Apply experience and innovation to drive continuous optimization and improvements in standard processes that support these functions.
- Bring new techniques and methodologies into the Pairwise research sphere.
- Collaborate across multifunctional teams Through time management and efficient planning, apply your skills and execute core responsibilities to proactively support multiple functions within R&D.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in a relevant field, such as molecular biology, microbiology, biochemistry, biology or any biological discipline requiring lab work.
- 2+ years lab work experience and demonstrated skills in industry setting.
- Knowledge and experience keeping accurate scientific records via LIMS and laboratory notebooks.
- Previous experience operating/programing liquid handlers or automated laboratory equipment for setting up high throughput molecular assays.
- Proven abilities in developing and optimizing assays for reliable routine use within a pipeline
- Experience monitoring/reporting key performance indicators within a workflow.
- Experience and knowledge in laboratory safe practices, including use of PPE, SDSs and proper handling and disposal of laboratory waste.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a large lab setting.
- Ability to work and manage time independently.
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA/FSA, 401k, Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, and more!
- Flexible PTO (use what you need, when you need it), in addition to company holidays.
- Casual work environment.
- Mission-driven organization focused on creating healthier fruits and veggies.
- A cutting-edge, driven community looking to lead the industry in innovation and nutrition.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.